The Scientific Explanation for What Happens After Death

  • Thread starter Thread starter Avalon
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Avalon
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
My theory:

Subjective awareness is relocated. Since you can never experience "non-experience" then simply "you" (your memories, experiences, physical traits, qualia etc.) cease to exist. But this does not rule out the possibility of you (as in the experiencer which is "you") being reborn as another conscious being. If you think about it, we just seem to come into existence out of nowhere: "non-existence". When you die is also non-existence therefore I think it is very plausible that we are reborn, of course not as the same people, just as any being able to experience existence.

(I am not religious/spiritual.)Post your thoughts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you die, and that's the end. It sounds plausible that you will have another existence, but I don't believe in that.

Depressing no?

Well, I wouldn't mind some extravagant afterlife. :smile:
 
"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The ants play pinochle on your snout..."
 
Your 'theory' is a bit thin no? ;)

Avalon said:
If you think about it, we just seem to come into existence out of nowhere: "non-existence".

If I think about it, I think my parents had some part to play? Their combined DNA/RNA machinery created me. Encoded in this structure is both the data about me, and the algorithm (chaotic process) that creates me. That's already pretty fantastic if you think about it, but it's surely NOT 'out of nowhere'.

So your theory is bogus imo :)

/Frederic
 
Avalon, this is the FOURTH thread you have started on this subject. Locked.
 
jtbell said:
"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
The ants play pinochle on your snout..."

Very scary; I was going to say the same thing. :biggrin: