The sequence 1/n not convergent?

In summary, we have discussed the convergence of the sequence 1/n in the set of positive real numbers and its failure to converge due to the limit being zero which is not considered positive. We have also clarified the definitions of domain and range in the context of sequences and the standard definition of a bounded sequence. Additionally, we have mentioned the "r test" theorem for convergence of a series and the divergence of the series \sum 1/n due to the integral test. Lastly, we have addressed the potential circular argument involving ln(x) and the unboundedness of the sequence of partial sums for the series \sum 1/n.
xAxis
I read in Rudin's Analysis that sequence 1/n failes to converge in the set of positive real numbers. How comes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because zero, the limit of the sequence, is not positive, but all of its elements are.

Ok, thanks. But I am a bit confused with some of his definitions. He calls the set n={1,2,3,...} the range of the sequence, and then says that the sequence is bounded if its range is bounded. Is this standard definition? I'm not sure if I've chosen the right book to brush on my maths.

That's not standard. I don't have access to a copy of Rudin at the moment, but I suspect you've misread something. {1,2,3,...} (i.e., the set of natural numbers) is the domain of the sequence. The range is {an|n is a natural number} (i.e., the set of sequence values). With the correct definition of the range of a sequence, the definition you gave of a bounded sequence is standard.

Yes, you are right. I missread. Everything is fine and this is an excellent book. Thank you.

Note that to say the sequence is bounded if the range is bounded is the same thing in this case. Nothing new beyond definitions is said here. However, interesting and new things regarding the convergence of a sequence can be said if the sequence is bounded.

The sequence/range is bounded if there is some number that is greater than all elements contained within the sequence/range.

There is a theorem (the "r test") that says that [tex]\sum n^{r}[/tex] converges if and only if r< 1 (or that [itex]\sum 1/n^r[/itex] converges if and only if r> 1.)

So "[itex]\sum 1/n[/itex]" is a borderline case: it diverges by the integral test:
[itex]\int_1^\infty dx/x[/itex] does not converge so the series does not converge.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
There is a theorem (the "r test") that says that [tex]\sum n^{r}[/tex] converges if and only if r< 1 (or that [itex]\sum 1/n^r[/itex] converges if and only if r> 1.)

So "[itex]\sum 1/n[/itex]" is a borderline case: it diverges by the integral test:
[itex]\int_1^\infty dx/x[/itex] does not converge so the series does not converge.

You might run into a circular argument depending upon how you have defined/proved the properties of ln(x). The proof that ln(x) ->00 may or may not depend upon 1/n diverging to infinity.

But, we're talking about a sequence, not a series. Besides, for the series, look at the partial sum:
[tex]
S_{2^{n}} = \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + \left( \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{4} \right) + \ldots + \left( \frac{1}{2^{n - 1} + 1} + \ldots + \frac{1}{2^{n}} \right) \ge 1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{4} + \ldots + \frac{2^{n - 1}}{2^{n}} = \frac{n + 1}{2}
[/tex]

Since the sequence on the right is unbounded, so is the subsequence of partial sums on the left. Hence, the series is divergent.

What is the sequence 1/n not convergent?

The sequence 1/n not convergent refers to a mathematical sequence where the values of the terms become closer and closer to 0, but never actually reach 0. This means that the sequence does not have a limit, and therefore is not convergent.

Why is the sequence 1/n not convergent?

The sequence 1/n is not convergent because as n approaches infinity, the terms in the sequence become infinitely small, but never actually reach 0. Therefore, the sequence does not have a limit and is not convergent.

What is the difference between a convergent and a non-convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence has a limit, meaning that as the values of the terms get closer and closer together, they eventually reach a specific value. A non-convergent sequence, on the other hand, does not have a limit and the values of the terms do not approach a specific value, even as the terms get closer and closer together.

What are some real-world applications of non-convergent sequences?

Non-convergent sequences have several applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model population growth, financial investments, and the behavior of electrical circuits.

How can you determine if a sequence is convergent or non-convergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or non-convergent, you can use various tests such as the divergence test, comparison test, and ratio test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the sequence and can determine if the sequence has a limit or not.