The Set of all elements X ? What does this mean?

In summary: The set notation is used ...everywhere. Open any more or less advanced math book (university level), and you will find this notation. A lot of mathematical results involve sets of numbers, functions, etc. The field that studies the properties of set is called Set Theory, and those properties are used widely in other branches of mathematics.Thanks
leodvinci
"The Set of all elements X" ? What does this mean?

I know it's really simple but I don't understand what it means. In set builder notation when I'm describing a particular set I know for example: {10,11,12,13,14,15} is {x |x is a whole number greater than 9 less than 16} and is read "the set of all elements x such that x is a whole number greater than 9 less than 16"
"EDITED"

What is this statement saying; I don't get it.

Is it just describing a set named x?
Like is "the set of all elements x" just saying that the elements of x are limited to a whole number greater than 9 less than 15.
So set builder notation is just giving a set a variable name and then describing the set?
Am I missing something or is it really that simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Threw notation is NOT defining a name for a set. If you write {x| x is between 9 and 15}, and them later say x has six elements, nobody will know what you are referring to. x here is basically a dummy variable in the notation, it refers to an arbitrary element of the set, not to the set itself. Furthermore the notation iss generally used so that once you have written this the variable 'x' no longer refers to anything at all unless you define it to. It is similar to dummy variables in integration

x is not a set, in your case it is a generic name for an element of the set

The notation {x | property of x} reads: the set of all x which have the stated property of x. From what I've read, it seems you understand what the notation means -- it is really that simple :)

Correction: it should be "less than 16" in your definition of the set.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Okay so; so if I understand this correct; Set builder notation describes the elements of a set as a variable. x itself it not a name for the set but It's describing numbers within a set.
oleador said:
The notation {x | property of x} reads: the set of all x which have the stated property of x. From what I've read, it seems you understand what the notation means -- it is really that simple :)

Correction: it should be "less than 16" in your definition of the set.

Your right; Thanks :-D

Last edited:

leodvinci said:
Okay so; so if I understand this correct; x itself it not a name for the set but It's an arbitrary number within a defined set.

Your intuition is correct. More precisely, x is a variable, and the set is a collection of all x's that satisfy the property specified in the definition of the set.

oleador said:
Your intuition is correct. More precisely, x is a variable, and the set is a collection of all x's that satisfy the property specified in the definition of the set.
Great; Thanks.
Now that I know this; I'm curious of the applications,situations or areas of math that is it useful?

leodvinci said:
Great; Thanks.
Now that I know this; I'm curious of the applications,situations or areas of math that is it useful?

The set notation is used ...everywhere. Open any more or less advanced math book (university level), and you will find this notation. A lot of mathematical results involve sets of numbers, functions, etc. The field that studies the properties of set is called Set Theory, and those properties are used widely in other branches of mathematics.

Thanks I really appreciate the response.
I'm an art major but I made it a goal to tackle my fear of math and make it sort of a hobby to start to fully understand and learn math. I've found it fun and interesting studying and solving problems using numbers.
This helped me a lot.

1. What is the set of all elements X?

The set of all elements X, also known as the universal set, is a collection of all possible elements or objects that can be included in a particular problem or scenario. It is often denoted by the symbol "U" or "ξ".

2. How is the set of all elements X different from other sets?

The set of all elements X is unique because it contains all possible elements that could exist in a specific context, while other sets may only contain a subset of these elements. It is often used as a reference point for other sets within a particular problem or study.

3. Can the set of all elements X be finite or infinite?

The set of all elements X can be either finite or infinite, depending on the context in which it is used. For example, in the set of all natural numbers, X would be infinite, while in the set of all animals on Earth, X would be finite.

4. What does it mean to be an element of the set of all elements X?

If an object or element is a member of the set of all elements X, it means that it is included in the universal set and is considered a possible element in the given context. This does not necessarily mean that the element actually exists, but rather that it is a potential element in the set.

5. How is the set of all elements X used in scientific research?

The set of all elements X is a useful tool in scientific research as it allows for the identification and categorization of all possible elements within a particular problem or study. It can also serve as a reference point for other sets and aid in the organization and understanding of data.