The smallest measurement device

In summary, The question of what constitutes the smallest measurement device in terms of CI is raised. The answer is complicated and can only be determined within an evolutionary context. The term "measurement device" is synonymous with "observer" and it is always raised by a second observer, in this case Dmitry. The smallest measurement device is the smallest part of the environment that the first observer can distinguish. This can be the subatomic level and does not rely on classical observers. The idea of a "set of all observers" is subjective and the result of interactions between observers. The key is to go from a realist view of symmetries to an intrinsic view, where all structures are evolving. This evolution is both of beliefs and of evolution rules.
Dmitry67
What is a smallest system which can be considered a 'measurement device' in terms of CI. How many atoms does it consist of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitry67 said:
What is a smallest system which can be considered a 'measurement device' in terms of CI. How many atoms does it consist of?

What is the definition of the so-called "measurement device"?

I want to ask CI-er about it :)

Looks like there are no people left who believe in CI :)

Dmitry67 said:

To avoid confusion, I don't declare myself as CI.
But I think I'm reasonably close to CI, atl east relative to Dmitry to add my comments fwiw.

The question has some complications, but I'll give a simple answers and add that the
real answers can only be made in a evolutionary context.

I take "measurement device" to be synonmous to "observer" here. This means you ask, what the smallest possible observer is?

The first thing I'd note is that this question is always raised by a second observer. In this case Dmitry, who happens to be human. But in that case, there is only one first hand observer, and that's Dmitry. So when his observer reads the "measurement device", he is in fact observing another observer, which is nothing but a part of the first observer environment.

The question becomes, what is the smallest part of the environment with some varying degree of coherence, that the first observer can _distinguish_?

In this case, we can fapp replace Dmitry with any human. So in my opinnion the question Dmitry raises here, is the same as ask, what are the smallest possible constitutient in the universe? Certainly, it's not counted in atoms, it would be on subatomic level.

Of course, these "observers" are can not described as "classical". This may be a problem for the strict old school CI. But this is why I do not declare myself as CI. To me, classical observer, or classical measurement apparatous are only an idealisation, that is emergent within the view of another observer during special occasions. My view does not rely on "classical" observers.

So, the notion of the "set of all observers" is in my view, not objective. Because each observer, has their own inside view of other observers. And for those who point out that this implies a consistency problem, my response would be that this apparent "consistency problem" is not really so. It can instead be seen to be the cause of interactions beteween the observers. The apparent inconsistency of views, exerts a selective mutual pressure on all observers in the game, that can be interpreted as forces. Pretty much like the idea of gauge theory, but with the difference that there exists no objective gauge symmetry. Instead it's much more self-referencing and self-evolving symmetry idea.

The key is to go from a realist birds view of symmetries of nature, to an instrinsic frogs view. To make this strange suggestion work, the implication is that all structures are evolving, and it's not evolving globally as per some objective law. It evolves differentially as per subjective(or local, meaning almsot the same thing here) beliefs. The result is both evolving beliefs, and evolving evolution rules.

The similarly to GR, dynamics in spacetime and dynamics OF spacetime is clear, but I'm picturing taking it yet another step, to apply to generic structures, in an intrisic information view.

/Fredrik

Dmitry67 said:
Looks like there are no people left who believe in CI :)
I think that they still exist, but that most of them prefer to shut up and calculate. :biggrin:

Fra said:
The key is to go from a realist birds view of symmetries of nature, to an instrinsic frogs view. To make this strange suggestion work, the implication is that all structures are evolving, and it's not evolving globally as per some objective law. It evolves differentially as per subjective(or local, meaning almsot the same thing here) beliefs. The result is both evolving beliefs, and evolving evolution rules.

The similarly to GR, dynamics in spacetime and dynamics OF spacetime is clear, but I'm picturing taking it yet another step, to apply to generic structures, in an intrisic information view.

I suspect a slight clarification might be needed. What I mean with this.

local vs global, as referring to spatial degrees of freedom, can be seen as a special case of subjective vs objective.

Now, picture extending relativity to more than just spatial or tempo-spatial views. Then one would expect something even more weird. And also att that the correspondence of Einsteins equation, is instead evolving, thus not fixed. This tangents also some ideas of Ted Jacobsson and others which argue that Einsteins equation is best seen as an "equation of state" rather than as a fundamental law. This is in line with how I see it. Thus, LAW, is to be seen as a sort of equlibrium condition that is constantly beeing re-equilibrated, and without a global, objective equillibrium. (no heath death problem).

/Fredrik

You can do the electron twin slit experiment, where the slits are the two protons of a hydrogen molecule, by exciting one electron with a photon. This first electron can be measured (or not) according to whether the second electron significantly interacts with the first. So you could argue that a single lepton is enough to count as the measurement device (although a CI adherent would probably prefer to draw the line somewhere else so as to have thermodynamic irreversibility... which they would instead call collapse irreversibility).

But if we know what electron was exited then there is no interference, right?

What is the smallest measurement device?

The smallest measurement device is a nanoscale sensor, which is a device that can measure very small particles or structures, often on the scale of nanometers (10^-9 meters).

How does a nanoscale sensor work?

A nanoscale sensor typically works by detecting changes in electrical or optical properties of a material at the nanoscale level. This can be achieved through various techniques such as nanowires, quantum dots, or carbon nanotubes.

What are some potential applications of nanoscale sensors?

Nanoscale sensors have a wide range of potential applications, including medical diagnostics, environmental monitoring, and industrial process control. They can also be used in research for studying biological and chemical processes at the nanoscale level.

What are the challenges of using nanoscale sensors?

One of the main challenges of using nanoscale sensors is their sensitivity to external factors such as temperature and noise. They also require advanced manufacturing techniques and can be expensive to produce.

How do nanoscale sensors contribute to scientific advancements?

Nanoscale sensors have enabled scientists to study and manipulate matter at the smallest scale, leading to breakthroughs in various fields such as medicine, material science, and electronics. They also have the potential to revolutionize how we collect and analyze data in the future.