The spin of quarks in an H dibaryon

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Keru
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quarks Spin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
Keru
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
I have some difficulties interpreting an exercise. It states that the dibaryon H is made of uuddss, with total spin zero, and relative angular momentum 0 as well. It then proceeds to use that the spin of every pair of particles uu, dd, and ss is equal to 1. Why is that the case?
It seems obvious that spin doesn't have to be necessarily zero, since these particles can carry different colors and therefore not violate Pauli's exclusion principle. But why can't it be zero? And how can the total spin be zero, if I have an odd number of integer spins?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please post the complete question?

And how can the total spin be zero, if I have an odd number of integer spins?

Let's ask a simpler problem. Suppose I add two J=1 spins. Can I get total J=1? How?