The sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal

  • Thread starter Thread starter frankusho
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
frankusho
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
1. Show that the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal is a nil left ideal.





2. The attempt at a solution

So far, I have no idea where to begin.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A left deal I of a ring R is left nilpotent if there is a positive integer n > 0 such that In=0



A nil left ideal is a left ideal in which every element is nilpotent, i.e. for all i in I there exists a n>0such that in=0
 
So take an arbitrary element from a nilpotent left ideal and an arbitrary element from a nil left ideal and add them. What do you get? What should you get?