The Third Road to Quantum Gravity

In summary, the Third Road to Quantum Gravity is a path that is not about applying existing principles to a new model of quantum gravity, but instead is about understanding what we mean by observation and quantum geometry at a fundamental level. This path is pursued by experts in logic who reside in math departments.
Mind if I ask a foolish question ?
What if Einsteins' work was based on wave energy which would apply to relativity and Schroedingers' work applied to matter which would apply to quantum physics.
And as such, they supported each other in their own right.
But then, gravity could be nothing more than neutrinos which would have mass and effect which would account for zero point energy.
At present, scientists have calculated the upper mass potential of photons. It seems that even though they do not have a rest mass, they are willing to consider that they still have a mass.
Just asking.
Trivia question. Why did Einstein say that God does not roll dice with the universe ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmini said:
Why did Einstein say that God does not roll dice with the universe?

He did not. He said, God does not play dice. Everybody else has to, though.

marcus said:
another arxiv posting by our own PF "kneemo"

Indeed, Marcus. This should provide interesting reading for anyone interested in Black Holes.

A "Third Road" type posting from Max Tegmark

http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0646
The Mathematical Universe
Max Tegmark

Abstract: "I explore physics implications of the External Reality Hypothesis (ERH) that there exists an external physical reality completely independent of us humans. I argue that with a sufficiently broad definition of mathematics, it implies the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH) that our physical world is an abstract mathematical structure. I discuss various implications of the ERH and MUH, ranging from standard physics topics like symmetries, irreducible representations, units, free parameters and initial conditions to broader issues like consciousness, parallel universes and Godel incompleteness. I hypothesize that only computable and decidable (in Godel's sense) structures exist, which alleviates the cosmological measure problem and help explain why our physical laws appear so simple. I also comment on the intimate relation between mathematical structures, computations, simulations and physical systems."

I was going to let this one pass, but Demy flagged it so I'll put it up.

Last edited:
thanks Marcus- nice to see Max T pushing his IMNSHO very important Multiverse ideas further-

Kea, is this of interest to "Third-roadies"?
Scott Morrison is an Australian who just did his PhD in Berkeley under Vaughn Jones.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.1503
It is about describing all representations of the Quantum Group SLn
and in particular he confirms a conjecture of Kim about the quantum
LieAlgebra sl4
He handles the problem catty-functishly.
He also cites Wikipedia articles in his PhD thesis bibliography which seems to me like an Australian thing to do. It struck me as good and cheerful work.
Greg Kuperberg supplied the problem (UC Davis is only 50 miles northwards up the pike). I would be pleased if you told me that Scott's thesis might be of some worldly (physical) good.

Last edited:
marcus said:
I would be pleased if you told me that Scott's thesis might be of some worldly (physical) good.

Why, thanks, Marcus. Yes, I highly recommend Scott's work. Actually, I met Scott in Taipa in the north island last year. He came with Vaughn Jones and Mike Freedman and gang for a kiwi maths conference with a lot of quantum computation lectures. I learned a lot.

:smile: