The time expression of the matter-raditation equality era

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the time of matter-radiation equality, given the red shift. The Friedmann equation provides two relations between time and red shift, one for the matter dominated era and another for the radiation dominated era. The latter is more relevant for this problem, as the universe was radiation dominated until the equality of densities. However, the book by Kolb and Turner uses the matter dominated expression for time at equality, which prompts the question of whether they are computing the age from equality until now or from the Big Bang until equality. Upon further examination, it is discovered that the equation they refer to is a more exact expression valid for both matter and radiation dominated periods, and that the reason for the matter
Magister
1. The problem statement

I am asked to find the time of the matter-radiation equality.
I have already find the red shift of this era, so I just need to find the expression of time in terms of red shift.
From the Friedmann equation I can derive 2 relations between time and the red shift, one to the matter dominated era and another to the radiation dominated era.
I suppose that I will have to use the second one because from the beginning until the equality of the densities it was a radiation dominated universe.
My problem is that I saw, in the Kolb and Turner book, that they use the matter dominated expression. What am I missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that they are then computing the time between now and the equality time. But that's basically the age of the universe. The more interesting number would be time from big bang to equality time. Do you have a chapter page reference from Kolb and Turner?

The [itex]t_{eq}[/itex] is in page 89 (chapter 3.5) and the expression they use are in page 65 (chapter 3.2) (for [itex]\Omega_0 = 1[/itex]).
I understand why do you say that they must be computing the age from the equality time until now but the they get a [itex]t_{eq}=2.4 X 10^3[/itex] years so it must be from the Big Bang until the equility time...
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Ok, my page numbers are a little different, but the equation they refer to (3.45) looks to be a more exact expression, valid for both matter and radiation dominated periods. I think the reason for the matter dominated form in the approximate solution is because it's based on H_0, the current Hubble rate. So to project back to get temperature etc at equality time, it's appropriate to use the matter dominated form.

1. What is the "matter-radiation equality era"?

The matter-radiation equality era is a period of time in the early universe when the amount of matter and radiation present were equal. This occurred approximately 50,000 years after the Big Bang and lasted until about 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

2. How is the time of the matter-radiation equality era determined?

The time of the matter-radiation equality era is determined by analyzing the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. By studying the temperature and distribution of the CMB, scientists can estimate when matter and radiation were equal in the early universe.

3. Why is the matter-radiation equality era important in understanding the universe?

The matter-radiation equality era is important because it marks a significant transition in the early universe. It is when the universe shifted from being dominated by radiation to being dominated by matter. This transition had a major impact on the evolution and structure of the universe.

4. What types of matter and radiation were present during the matter-radiation equality era?

During the matter-radiation equality era, the universe was filled with a hot, dense plasma of photons (particles of light) and particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. This plasma was created during the Big Bang and was the dominant form of matter and radiation in the early universe.

5. How does the matter-radiation equality era relate to the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures?

The matter-radiation equality era is crucial in understanding the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures in the universe. The transition from a radiation-dominated universe to a matter-dominated universe allowed for the formation of clumps of matter, which eventually led to the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures. Without this transition, the universe would look very different today.