1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light travel time since dark energy - matter equivalence

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    So I'm looking to find the distance light has traveled since matter - dark energy equivalence. Assume dark energy dominance from equivalence.

Space-time has flat geometry and Ω0m = 0.315 , Ω0 = 1
    Thus: Ω will equal Ω0 - Ω0m= 0.685

ρ0m (1 + zeq)3 = ρ

where: ρ0m = ρ0c * Ω0m
    and: ρ = ρ0c * Ω

I used this to find z = 0.296

Next, I need to use this somehow to find the light travel time. My guess is that I should use a solution of the Friedmann equation and use it to find a time? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this so far. I think I may just need to find the right Friedmann equation for dark energy dominance and work it out from there. But, it's missing from my notes and I don't know how to get there.

Any pointers here guys?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That would help. You know the matter and dark energy density as function of the scale factor, this allows to calculate its derivatives (using the values observed today).
    I guess assuming a linear expansion wouldn't be so completely wrong, however.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    Ok,

Not entirely sure this is the best way to get a result but here's how I did it:

I showed in a previous question on this assignment that if you take the friedmann equation for a matter dominated universe you get:

(dR/dT)2 * R-2 = 8*π*G*ρ / 3 * R03/R3

If you solve this you eventually get to

R3/2 ∝ t

Using this relationship I found the age of the Universe at z = 0.296 (9.29 billion years) and assumed that after this moment dark energy dominates.

In order to find my light travel time do I need to take into account that the universe is expanding? Use co-moving distance maybe? We're taking a flat universe btw.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted