1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The Ultimate Demystifier

1. May 13, 2016 #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No, I am not talking about myself. :biggrin:

I am talking about David McMahon who has written a large collection of excellent introductory pedagogic undergraduate textbooks, most of which in the "Demystified" series, on physics, mathematics, and other related stuff. The topics on which he has written books range from Biochemistry to String Theory, which is impressive by itself. For a more complete list of his books see
    https://www.amazon.com/David-McMahon/e/B001H6O0UW

I have been reading several of his books, and I more than liked them. Are there any other fans of him and his work?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I've seen the books but never looked inside as I always thought they were too flashy and pop sci oriented like the Dummies and the Idiot's guide books.

I'll have to take another look.

Thanks for sharing.

4. May 13, 2016 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The pictures on front covers are misleading. Those are fully technical books, often with all calculation steps written down explicitly so that calculations are easy to follow. The books are written in a cook-book style, meaning that you will not find many deep thoughts, but you will easily learn how to do the practical calculations without going too deeply into abstract general theory.

5. May 13, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

That's great, thanks. I'll have to check them out.

I'm most curious about the QM and Relativity ones and String theory too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted