David McMahon: The Master of Demystifying Science

• I
  • Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
In summary, David McMahon has written a large collection of excellent introductory textbooks on various topics including physics, mathematics, and biochemistry. His books range from Biochemistry to String Theory, making him an impressive author. Many readers have enjoyed his books, despite initially thinking they were too flashy and pop sci oriented. However, the books are actually technical and written in a cook-book style, making it easy to learn practical calculations without delving too deeply into abstract theory. Some readers are particularly interested in his books on Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and String Theory.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
No, I am not talking about myself. :biggrin:

I am talking about David McMahon who has written a large collection of excellent introductory pedagogic undergraduate textbooks, most of which in the "Demystified" series, on physics, mathematics, and other related stuff. The topics on which he has written books range from Biochemistry to String Theory, which is impressive by itself. For a more complete list of his books see

I have been reading several of his books, and I more than liked them. Are there any other fans of him and his work?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen the books but never looked inside as I always thought they were too flashy and pop sci oriented like the Dummies and the Idiot's guide books.

I'll have to take another look.

Thanks for sharing.

jedishrfu said:
I've seen the books but never looked inside as I always thought they were too flashy and pop sci oriented like the Dummies and the Idiot's guide books.
The pictures on front covers are misleading. Those are fully technical books, often with all calculation steps written down explicitly so that calculations are easy to follow. The books are written in a cook-book style, meaning that you will not find many deep thoughts, but you will easily learn how to do the practical calculations without going too deeply into abstract general theory.

That's great, thanks. I'll have to check them out.

I'm most curious about the QM and Relativity ones and String theory too.

1. What is "The Ultimate Demystifier"?

"The Ultimate Demystifier" is a revolutionary tool designed to simplify complex scientific concepts and make them more accessible to a wider audience. It utilizes advanced technology and interactive features to break down complicated topics into easily understandable pieces of information.

2. How does "The Ultimate Demystifier" work?

The tool uses a combination of visual aids, animations, and interactive modules to present scientific concepts in a user-friendly manner. It also incorporates audio explanations and incorporates real-life examples to help users better understand the concepts.

3. Who can benefit from using "The Ultimate Demystifier"?

Anyone who is interested in learning about complex scientific concepts can benefit from using "The Ultimate Demystifier". It can be particularly useful for students, educators, and individuals who are new to a particular field of science.

4. Is "The Ultimate Demystifier" limited to certain scientific subjects?

No, "The Ultimate Demystifier" covers a wide range of scientific topics, including biology, chemistry, physics, and more. It is constantly updated with new content and features to ensure that it remains a comprehensive resource for all scientific subjects.

5. Can I use "The Ultimate Demystifier" for research purposes?

While "The Ultimate Demystifier" is primarily designed for educational purposes, it can also be a helpful tool for research. It provides in-depth explanations and references to reputable sources, making it a valuable resource for those conducting scientific research.