The Universe Never Expands Faster than the Speed of Light

In summary, the conversation discusses a blog post by Sean Carroll on the misconception that the universe can expand faster than the speed of light. Carroll argues against the use of the term "superluminal expansion" and the use of the word "velocity" in relation to the expansion of the universe. The conversation also touches on the difference between the proper distance between two objects and a (four-)velocity vector. Some scientists, including Charlie Lineweaver and Tamara Davis, still use the term "recession velocity" to describe the expansion of the universe, which Carroll disagrees with. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of using accurate terminology when discussing the expansion of the universe.
Space news on Phys.org
I agree with him on points 2 and 3, but I don't share his objection to the term 'superluminal expansion'. Applied to the current, non-inflationary, universe the term is meaningful, and handy, because it relates to which galaxies lie outside the observable region. Nor is there anything technically incorrect in it.

It comes down to having a clear understanding of the difference between
(1). a rate of increase in the proper distance between two objects; and
(2). a (four-)velocity vector

As long as a physicist doesn't use the word 'velocity' to describe (1) in relation to distant galaxies (I like the word 'rate', as even 'speed' sounds a bit too similar to 'velocity'), I don't mind. I think his point 2 is objecting to the use of the word 'velocity' in relation to expansion, and I agree with that.

andrewkirk said:
I agree with him on points 2 and 3, but I don't share his objection to the term 'superluminal expansion'. Applied to the current, non-inflationary, universe the term is meaningful, and handy, because it relates to which galaxies lie outside the observable region.
Actually, it doesn't, unless I am misunderstanding you. Objects at the outer reaches of the Observable Universe have a recession velocity of about 3c, and recession velocities of c start fairly well inside the sphere of the Observable Universe.

Sure, I agree. That's why I said 'relates to', to avoid the more specific, and incorrect, suggestion that whether we can see a galaxy is determined by whether its 'recession rate' exceeds c.

andrewkirk said:
Sure, I agree. That's why I said 'relates to', to avoid the more specific, and incorrect, suggestion that whether we can see a galaxy is determined by whether its 'recession rate' exceeds c.
Fair enough.

andrewkirk said:
I agree with him on points 2 and 3, but I don't share his objection to the term 'superluminal expansion'. Applied to the current, non-inflationary, universe the term is meaningful, and handy, because it relates to which galaxies lie outside the observable region. Nor is there anything technically incorrect in it.
No, it isn't meaningful, because the velocities of far-away galaxies aren't well-defined. There is no sense in which "superluminal" is sensible as applied to the limits of the observable universe. Worse, it is usually a term that is applied to inflation, where it makes even less sense as this isn't a meaningful way in which the expansion differs from today's expansion.

Chalnoth said:
No, it isn't meaningful, because the velocities of far-away galaxies aren't well-defined.
That's why the word 'velocity' should not be used (see last part of my post). It's using the word 'velocity' in this context that contributes confusion.

andrewkirk said:
That's why the word 'velocity' should not be used (see last part of my post). It's using the word 'velocity' in this context that contributes confusion.
Except the word "superluminal" only makes sense in relation to either speed or velocity.

I find it perfectly reasonable to say that a galaxy's recession rate is superluminal if the proper distance to it is increasing at a faster rate than the distance to a wavefront on a laser I have pointed away from me and switched on. But what seems reasonable to one may not seem reasonable to another.

andrewkirk said:
I find it perfectly reasonable to say that a galaxy's recession rate is superluminal if the proper distance to it is increasing at a faster rate than the distance to a wavefront on a laser I have pointed away from me and switched on. But what seems reasonable to one may not seem reasonable to another.
But that doesn't have much of anything to do with the limits of the observable universe. Most observable galaxies are "superluminal" by that definition. More to the point, the post was about "superluminal expansion," which definitely has nothing to do with the situation you just described.

Chalnoth said:
But that doesn't have much of anything to do with the limits of the observable universe. Most observable galaxies are "superluminal" by that definition. More to the point, the post was about "superluminal expansion," which definitely has nothing to do with the situation you just described.
Actually, most of the blog is about misuse of the word 'velocity' (issue 2 of 3) and other physicists implying that superluminal recession can only occur during inflation (issue 3 of 3).
I agree with Carroll on both those points. As regards point 1, there is plenty of room to differ. We are not talking about a theorem or an equation here, so there is nothing 'definite' about it one way or the other - no 'right answer'. It's just a question of what words people like to use to describe, in the easygoing way that natural language is used, certain phenomena that can only be accurately described by equations.

Even Charlie Lineweaver and Tamara Davis, whom Carroll mentions with special praise in his post, use the term, viz this from p9 of their marvellous Scientific American article ('Misconceptions about the Big Bang'):

'The galaxy they came from, though, may continue to recede superluminally.'​

In their Expanding Confusion paper, which is more academic and mathematical (and which Carroll links in his blog post), they go even further and refer to 'recession velocities' right there in the abstract. 'Recession velocity', or any phrase using 'velocity' to describe this phenomenon, is a term that I personally regard as unfortunate, as discussed above.

The post was talking about the term, "superluminal expansion," not the use of superluminal in general, or the use of superluminal recession velocity (which is unrelated to the particle horizon that bounds the observable universe), and is a separate issue from the expansion itself.

1. What is the theory of "The Universe Never Expands Faster than the Speed of Light"?

The theory of "The Universe Never Expands Faster than the Speed of Light" is a scientific concept that states that the expansion of the universe can never exceed the speed of light. This means that no matter how fast the universe expands, the speed will always be limited by the speed of light.

2. Why is it important to understand the speed of light in relation to the expansion of the universe?

Understanding the speed of light in relation to the expansion of the universe is important because it helps us to better comprehend the vastness of the universe and how it operates. It also provides insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of space and time.

3. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured through a variety of methods, including the observation of distant galaxies, the measurement of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the use of standard candles such as Type Ia supernovae.

4. What evidence supports the theory of "The Universe Never Expands Faster than the Speed of Light"?

There is strong evidence to support this theory, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the redshift of distant galaxies, and the relationship between the distance and velocity of galaxies. Additionally, the theory is also supported by the laws of general relativity.

5. Could there be exceptions to this theory?

While the theory of "The Universe Never Expands Faster than the Speed of Light" is widely accepted, there is ongoing research and debate about the possibility of exceptions. Some theories, such as inflationary cosmology, suggest that in the early stages of the universe's expansion, it may have expanded faster than the speed of light. However, there is currently no definitive evidence to support these exceptions.