1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The vector potential and the Hamiltonian?

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I have a problem involving the Hamiltonian of a particle of mass m, charge q, position r, momentum p, in an external field defined by vector potential A and scalar potential X. Here's the Hamiltonian:

H(r,p) = (1/2m)[p - qA(r,t)]2 + qX(r,t) = (1/2m)(pjpj - 2qpjAj + q2AjAj) + qX

The problem I have to solve is that i have to show that

[tex]\dot{A}[/tex] = [tex]\partial _{t} A + (v \bullet \nabla)A[/tex]

My attempted solution:

When I put this into Hamilton's equations of motion, (which are the following:)

[tex]\frac{dr_{j}}{dt} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_{j}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dp_{j}}{dt} = - \frac{\partial H}{\partial r_{j}}[/tex]

I get : [tex]\ \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_{j}} = (1/m)(p_{j} - qA_{j}) = \frac{dr_{j}}{dt} = v_{j} [/tex]

and : [tex]\ \frac{\partial H}{\partial r_{j}} = (\frac{q^{2}A_{j}}{m} - \frac{qp_{j}}{m})\frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial r_{j}} + q\frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}}= - \frac{dp_{j}}{dt} = F_{j} [/tex]

I am 99% certain these are correct.

Using what I got for the first differential equation, i find that A_{j}=(1/q)(p_{j} - mv_{j})

hence [tex]\ \dot{A} = \frac{1}{q}(\frac{dp_{j}}{dt} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt}) [/tex]

[tex]\ = \frac{1}{q}((-(\frac{q^2A_{j}}{m} - \frac{qp_{j}}{m})\frac{dA_{j}}{dr_{j}} + q\frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}}) - m\frac{dv_{j}}{t})[/tex]

[tex]\ = (\frac{p_{j}}{m} - \frac{qA_{j}}{m})\frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial r_{j}} - \frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt}) [/tex]

[tex]\ = (v_{j}.\nabla)A_{j} - \frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt} [/tex]

and this is as far as I get really.

First off, am I correct in the way i got to the (v.\nabla) part? (ie. using the first Hamilton equation for velocity?)

Assuming that is correct, I haven't been able to find a way to deal with the other terms in the equation... the advice given on the question sheet is to use the chain rule in index notation, but I don't see where this comes in handy for this question.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to tackle this one?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're making things much too complicated...[itex]A[/itex] is a function of [itex]r_i[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], so the chain rule tells you

[tex]\dot{A}=\frac{dA}{dt}=\partial_t A+\frac{dr_i}{dt}\frac{\partial A}{\partial r_i}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook