Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The void: Imprint of another universe?

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was reading the linked article (from newscientist) in another thread on this forum, and saw the cover story to this month's NS; the article is here.

So, what does anyone else think? Clearly it's a very contraversial claim, and I can't find any recent papers of hers (Mersini-Houghton) on the arxiv that discuss this. I was under the impression that the standard model does allow for the void suggested by the WMAP cold spot?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Controversial is a good description. I do not find such a void to be particularly significant statistically. Newscientist is a bleeding edge publication, not that it diminishes the discussion, but does put it into perspective. Show the math.

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree.
    I'd love to, but as I said I can't find any paper that this is referring to. Perhaps others will be able to assist.

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Do you have a reference for that Chris?

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    I think it is due to a region of "antigravity". I have a theory about that (hopefully to be published next year).

Rudi Van Nieuwenhove

7. Nov 22, 2007 #6

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Extragalactic Radio Sources and the WMAP Cold Spot
    Garth

8. Nov 22, 2007 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Thanks for the link, Garth! It is food for thought. I don't like the math, but I am no stranger to bad guesses.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  9. Nov 22, 2007 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I look forward to your paper, Rudi.

10. Nov 25, 2007 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Dec 10, 2007 #10

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea that gravitation is the result of a distortion of the quantum vacuum by the presence of a mass is a very interesting hypothesis Rudi, have you submitted the paper to a peer reviewed journal?

To advocate a non-relativistic theory of gravitation you need to explain all the observations that GR predicts so well and further tests such as the Gravity Probe B satellite experiment that is being evaluated at this moment.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  12. Dec 10, 2007 #11
    The idea that gravitation is the result of a distortion of the quantum vacuum by the presence of a mass was published in a peer reviewed journal (R. Van Nieuwenhove, Quantum Gravity : a Hypothesis, Europhysics Letters, 17 (1), pp. 1-4 (1992)).
    Indeed, at this stage the theory is non-relativistic and it therefore can not predict all the effects which GR predicts. The MOND theory also started as a non-relativistic theory (before it was upgraded to the ugly relativistic TeVeS theory), so I will also need a lot of time before coming up with a relativistic theory.
    One can say that GR predicts everything so well, but if it turns out that dark matter does not exist (of which I am convinced), then one could say that it is significantly wrong in describing galaxy rotation curves. And if it is wrong at this scale, it is surely very wrong on a cosmological scale.

Rudi Van Nieuwenhove

13. Dec 10, 2007 #12

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I am likewise working on an alternative theory I appreciate the problem!

I wish you well!

:smile:

Garth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?