1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The void: Imprint of another universe?

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was reading the linked article (from newscientist) in another thread on this forum, and saw the cover story to this month's NS; the article is here.

So, what does anyone else think? Clearly it's a very contraversial claim, and I can't find any recent papers of hers (Mersini-Houghton) on the arxiv that discuss this. I was under the impression that the standard model does allow for the void suggested by the WMAP cold spot?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Controversial is a good description. I do not find such a void to be particularly significant statistically. Newscientist is a bleeding edge publication, not that it diminishes the discussion, but does put it into perspective. Show the math.

4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree.
    I'd love to, but as I said I can't find any paper that this is referring to. Perhaps others will be able to assist.

5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    Do you have a reference for that Chris?

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5
    I think it is due to a region of "antigravity". I have a theory about that (hopefully to be published next year).

Rudi Van Nieuwenhove

7. Nov 22, 2007 #6

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Extragalactic Radio Sources and the WMAP Cold Spot
    Garth

8. Nov 22, 2007 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link, Garth! It is food for thought. I don't like the math, but I am no stranger to bad guesses.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  9. Nov 22, 2007 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I look forward to your paper, Rudi.

10. Nov 25, 2007 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Dec 10, 2007 #10

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The idea that gravitation is the result of a distortion of the quantum vacuum by the presence of a mass is a very interesting hypothesis Rudi, have you submitted the paper to a peer reviewed journal?

To advocate a non-relativistic theory of gravitation you need to explain all the observations that GR predicts so well and further tests such as the Gravity Probe B satellite experiment that is being evaluated at this moment.

Garth

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  12. Dec 10, 2007 #11
    The idea that gravitation is the result of a distortion of the quantum vacuum by the presence of a mass was published in a peer reviewed journal (R. Van Nieuwenhove, Quantum Gravity : a Hypothesis, Europhysics Letters, 17 (1), pp. 1-4 (1992)).
    Indeed, at this stage the theory is non-relativistic and it therefore can not predict all the effects which GR predicts. The MOND theory also started as a non-relativistic theory (before it was upgraded to the ugly relativistic TeVeS theory), so I will also need a lot of time before coming up with a relativistic theory.
    One can say that GR predicts everything so well, but if it turns out that dark matter does not exist (of which I am convinced), then one could say that it is significantly wrong in describing galaxy rotation curves. And if it is wrong at this scale, it is surely very wrong on a cosmological scale.

Rudi Van Nieuwenhove

13. Dec 10, 2007 #12

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I am likewise working on an alternative theory I appreciate the problem!

I wish you well!

:smile:

Garth

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?