Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Is Multiverse proven by Plank data?

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,
    On Wikipedia I found this article:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/planck-univ...-holman-468831

The map showed anomalies that cosmologists believe could only have been caused by the gravitational pull of other universes outside our own.

"These anomalies were caused by other universes pulling on our universe as it formed during the Big Bang," said Laura Mersini-Houghton, of the University of North Carolina.

But on the same page I found this:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...-of-the-cosmos

What do You guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

Wild and irresponsible speculation. If the anomalies even exist, and there is now a challenge to this claim, they certainly do not constitute "the first hard evidence for the existence of other universes that we have seen." If the dark flow is "hard evidence" of the multiverse, then the big bang is "hard evidence" of God with easily the same confidence.

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3
    Thanks,bapowell.I paid attention that the news about it didn't come from solid newspapers.An my second link also deals with Plank data but is of opposite conclusions

5. Oct 23, 2015 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

This isn't quite a case of the media running overzealous, inaccurate, and sensationalist stories about a scientific finding; it's more a case of actual cosmologists making overzealous, inaccurate, and sensationalist claims about a scientific finding.

6. Oct 23, 2015 #5

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

We think that stuff like this is the reason PhysicsForums has its rule about acceptable sources.

We can close this thread; there's not much to add to what bapowell has said.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook