Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The water in our pet's dish froze in a very unusual manner overnight

1. Jan 10, 2016 #1
    The water in our pets dish froze in a very unusual manner overnight.

It looks like a stelagmite, it's about 1.75 inches tall. Overnight low was 17 degrees Fahrenheit. No foreign objects present in the water.

Has anyone seen this, or have an explanation?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2

Hepth

Gold Member

its outside, something was dripping into it.

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3
    That was my first thought, but that's not likely since there's nothing over it to drip from.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4

Hepth

Gold Member

do you have a better picture? honestly in that i barely see anything other than a glare from the sun and maybe a small bump.

6. Jan 10, 2016 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hard to tell looking at the picture, but such things happen now and then. It is a combination of several factors - water has to freeze on the surface and on the edges first in such a way, that the connection between ice and the vessel is wateproof. Then when water freezes it pushes itself outside through a final opening, freezing on the edges - and that creates a tube sticking out. You should be able to google images with a correct selection of keywords.

7. Jan 10, 2016 #6

fresh_42

It happens quite often and has to do with the way the water freezes. I'm not sure whether I still get it right. The water freezes outside-in. Since it freezes simultaneously from the ground to the top and freezing water requires more volume than liquid, some water is pushed up in the center where it's still liquid and then freezing in the air.

8. Jan 10, 2016 #7

Borek

9. Jan 10, 2016 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's called an "ice spike".
    They are somewhat rare, so even very old people like myself don't see them until we are very old.

Interesting ice formation [ref: pf, about a week ago]

I haven't checked the entire history of PF, but I think this question comes up every year, around this time.

Strange ice formation [ref: pf, November 2008]

And fellow oldsters, like myself, were also baffled by them.
    [edit] Although, turbo was somewhat correct. A similar phenomenon occurs when you leave your outdoor faucet on, to keep it from freezing. I made one just last week!

10. Jan 11, 2016 #9
    the Weather channel program "Strangest Weather on Earth" did a spot on this very thing and explained it well, better than I could. Same thing happened last week in my ice cube tray in the freezer, does NOT happen every time, conditions have to be special. Check out the weather channel.

11. Jan 21, 2016 #10
    I believe water expands when cooled from 4C to 0C (in other words, heat DOES NOT rise)..
    The way I could see this happening is that if it started to freeze and the water below was warm(ish) still, there'd be a point where the ice on the top leaves only a small hole of water, it freezes the edges of the hole, and meanwhile the rest of the water is still expanding since it's cooling from 4C to 0C, this expansion has to go somewhere, so it pushes water out of the small remaining hole, continually freezing around the edges, and forming an upside down icicle.

Water expanding when cooled from 4C to 0C and heat sinking at those temperatures has many implications, and one is the reason it's hard to melt snow in a pan, the heat sinks.. Another is that the bottom of a lake will stay warm enough for fish to survive the winter.

12. Jan 21, 2016 #11

Borek

Much more important is expansion on solidification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook