Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The way we write ln(x) to the power of a

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1
    I have learned that (cos x)a can be written as cosax. And like wise for sin x and tan x.

How come we don't write (ln x)a as lnax or (log x)a as logax?

I just think it seems smarter when its written with as few symbols as possible.

(Or perhaps its just my textbook which don't write it this way?)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

LOTS of textbooks use that convention. I will go as far as to say it is the most common convention. :smile:

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Personally, I hardly ever see logs with powers (except in a couple of circumstances), while trigs with powers (especially squared) are a common occurrence.

5. Oct 9, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My advisor has gone so far as to tell me when I square any function I should write it as f2(x), which I personally don't like but what am I going to do about it (I would rather write f(x)2). I will admit that it makes the final writeup a little cleaner looking

6. Oct 9, 2013 #5
    The notation fa(x) is a little bit ambiguous because it can mean either f(x)a or f(f(...f(x)...)).

You can usually work out the meaning from context. If f is a trig function, you are probably okay, since in most situations it does not make sense to iterate the sine function. But both log(log(x)) and (log(x))2 are potentially useful things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook