The Weedaput: Engineering In Action

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, a 3-foot-tall catapult capable of launching 4.4 pounds of drugs over the Arizona-Mexico border was discovered by Mexican troops. There is video footage of the catapult in action. While some find this situation amusing, it highlights the issue of drug smuggling and the need for more effective solutions. The conversation also touches on the idea of legalizing and taxing drugs as a means of generating revenue and reducing drug-related crimes. Additionally, the conversation veers off into a discussion about the sport of "punkin chunkin" and the potential risks of using a similar method to transport other valuable items.
nismaratwork
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/27/earlyshow/main7289339.shtml
CBS and AP said:
Drug-Hurling Catapult Found on Ariz.-Mex. Border
Mexican Troops Discover Smugglers' 3-Foot-Tall Catapult Able to Launch 4.4 Pounds of Drugs Over the Border with Each Shot

There is VIDEO of shots being made!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7289257n&tag=related;photovideo

Now, I want to be clear, I find this hilarious: this is not an invitation to debate immigration, it's just some smugglers catapulting bales of marijuana.

I never realized how much some people really REALLY wanted to toke!edit: Obviously the title should be, "Weedapault". Damn my poor neologistic and spelling skills!

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems smart to me. Until casual drug use is legalized and regulated this will be the general trend. I guess, technically, it's a good way to put more money into the Mexican economy, although it seems like legal avenues would be more tax-efficient.

FlexGunship said:
Seems smart to me. Until casual drug use is legalized and regulated this will be the general trend. I guess, technically, it's a good way to put more money into the Mexican economy, although it seems like legal avenues would be more tax-efficient.

I'm all for legalizing casual drug use... I just love the image of this international catapult because we're still reeling from "Reefer Madness". I don't advocate smoking anything, but the casual use of marijuana shouldn't inspire laws that have people catapulting bales over the border.

I really think this is the writing on the wall: legalize it, tax it, and this just CEASES to be an issue.

Then focus on prescription drug abuse, and methamphetamine especially. Other drugs deserve attention, but this is the kind of absurdist symptom that should be a wake-up call for all of us: the drug problem is that we're not taxing our biggest cash-crop.

We complain about exporting jobs, but we're sitting on billions of private and federal revenue... and instead we SPEND to stop the inevitable. They are throwing it over the border... it's time to admit that we were wrong about this one. Let's give California a real economy, and not have people smoking whatever the hell is the kind of junk that people catapult.

4.4 pounds isn't much weed (I think). I think it's a cocapault.

lisab said:
4.4 pounds isn't much weed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaaTvJjNV4z662E57-scQVG0ULnKg6dPAfFLiFOza2nZ9m6vi_Sw.jpg

lisab said:
4.4 pounds isn't much weed (I think). I think it's a cocapault.

Wow... no wonder your avatar is green! :rofl:

Lisa... for most people, an ounce would be a ton of marijuana. Usually people buy 1/8th or 1/4 ounce packages for long-term consumption. Obviously the sub-class of addicts who have built tolerance can smoke up to an ounce a day.

So.. a 4.4 pounds per SHOT is... a lot, considering that you stay on YOUR side of the border where you're safer.

4.4 pounds of coke? uncut? I've never used any drug other than marijuana, alcohol, and nicotine... and not much of any of those. From my understanding however, 4.4 lbs of UNCUT cocaine would be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

On that theme... if you lose 4.4 pounds of weed to drift on your shot... it's OK. If you lose 4.4 pounds of cocaine?... well, what would happen if you did the same with a bale of $100 USD bills? I'm guessing that would be a bad risk:reward/shot proposition.

they need to work on their tech a bit
http://www.punkinchunkin.com/main.htm

Proton Soup said:
they need to work on their tech a bit
http://www.punkinchunkin.com/main.htm

It's funny, because that really seems like the kind of sport that a bunch of high engineers or mechanics would think up!

edit: Besides, they might overshoot and hit Canada! :tongue:

lisab said:
...I think it's a cocapault.

Really? Looks more like a marijugonel to me.

Andre said:
Really? Looks more like a marijugonel to me.

...I love you dude. :wink:

This is too funny. :rofl:

1. What is "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action"?

"The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" is a fictional video game that simulates the engineering process of designing and building a machine to remove invasive weeds from a garden. It is a fun and educational way to learn about engineering concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. Who is the target audience for "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action"?

The target audience for "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" is primarily middle school and high school students, although anyone interested in engineering and problem-solving can enjoy the game.

3. How does "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" teach about engineering?

The game teaches about engineering by presenting players with various challenges and obstacles that they must overcome by using engineering principles and critical thinking. This includes selecting and combining different parts, testing and refining their design, and considering cost and efficiency.

4. Is "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" based on real engineering practices?

While the game is fictional, it is based on real engineering practices and concepts. The challenges and tasks in the game are designed to mimic real-world engineering problems, and the solutions require the use of real engineering principles.

5. Can "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" improve problem-solving skills?

Yes, "The Weedaput: Engineering In Action" can improve problem-solving skills by presenting players with complex challenges and encouraging them to think critically and creatively to find solutions. It also promotes trial and error and teaches the importance of testing and refining designs.

Back