The World Doesn't Revolve Around You

• Thread starter BL4CKCR4Y0NS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of revolving around a subject and the idea of mass being a factor in determining this. It is acknowledged that the Earth orbits the sun and that there is no such thing as being completely stationary. The topic of a body's center of mass is also brought up. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no clear answer as the question is not well-defined.
BL4CKCR4Y0NS
You know that saying?
"The world doesn't revolve around you"

If by "world" we'll use Earth ... how much mass would one need for the Earth to literally revolve around the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have to more precisely define "revolve around".

Orbit?
Just like the Earth revolved around the sun.
Just like the Earth orbits the sun.

Imagine you have two objects mass of the Earth revolving around their center of mass. That means they both revolve around a point lying exactly in the middle between both of them. (For simplicity let's assume they are point masses and they are not destroyed by tidal forces blah blah blah).

Which one revolves around which?

Well what if I was stationary. I'm not orbiting around anything.
So if I am not moving, how much mass then?

There is no such thing as "stationary". Or, if you want to assume you are stationary and everything happens in a coordinates centered around you, world always revolves around you, no matter what your mass is.

I am afraid you are trying to ignore physical reality and find an answer to ill posed question. There is no answer.

The Sun itself is not stationary -- it is being pulled around by the motion of the planets. So even the mass of the Sun is insufficient.

I was thinking about something like "center of the mass is inside of the body". But it has to be clearly stated.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does it mean when people say "the world doesn't revolve around you"?

When people say "the world doesn't revolve around you", they are reminding you that the world does not solely exist to serve your needs and desires. It is a reminder to be humble and considerate of others.

2. Why is it important to understand that the world doesn't revolve around you?

Understanding that the world doesn't revolve around you is important because it promotes empathy and respect for others. It also helps prevent feelings of entitlement and self-centeredness.

3. How can I shift my mindset to think that the world doesn't revolve around me?

You can shift your mindset by actively listening and considering other people's perspectives, practicing gratitude and humility, and recognizing that everyone has their own unique experiences and challenges.

4. Is it okay to prioritize my own needs even though the world doesn't revolve around me?

Yes, it is important to prioritize your own needs and well-being. However, it is also important to remember to consider the needs and feelings of others and find a balance between self-care and being considerate of others.

5. How does understanding that the world doesn't revolve around me benefit me?

Understanding that the world doesn't revolve around you can benefit you by improving your relationships with others, promoting personal growth and self-awareness, and reducing feelings of stress and anxiety that may come from constantly seeking validation and attention from others.