Theoretical Physics at McGill University?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in string theory and the potential for research at McGill University as a graduate school. It is suggested to look at the department webpage to see which professors are doing research in this field and to also consider the practicality of studying string theory.
"pi"mp
Hi all,
I still have a year of undergraduate studies left but I'm very, very interested in mathematical, theoretical physics. I would love to do research in string theory; does anyone know if McGill University is at least decent for this as a graduate school? It's probably a naive question to ask but I couldn't find much on the internet. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could go on their department webpage and see what professors are doing research in. I just looked and they have at least a few doing the work you mention. The next step would be to see what kind of papers these professors have published lately.

You need to look at what specific professors at the school are studying. But as a word of advice, avoid string theory. It really doesn't appear to be going anywhere. You don't want to graduate and find out no one finds your field of study useful. Theory is hard enough to find a job in - theory of something that doesn't work is even worse.

1. What is the focus of theoretical physics at McGill University?

Theoretical physics at McGill University focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems at a fundamental level. This includes topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and cosmology.

2. What research opportunities are available for students in theoretical physics at McGill University?

McGill University offers a variety of research opportunities for students in theoretical physics, including opportunities to work with faculty members on research projects, participate in summer research programs, and conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor.

3. What is the curriculum like for theoretical physics at McGill University?

The curriculum for theoretical physics at McGill University includes a combination of lecture-based courses, hands-on laboratory experiences, and research opportunities. Students will also take courses in mathematics, computer science, and other related fields to develop a strong foundation in quantitative and analytical skills.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the theoretical physics program at McGill University?

Graduates of the theoretical physics program at McGill University are well-prepared for a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government, and industry, as well as opportunities in data science, finance, and technology.

5. What sets the theoretical physics program at McGill University apart from other institutions?

The theoretical physics program at McGill University is known for its strong emphasis on both theoretical and experimental research, providing students with a well-rounded education in the field. Additionally, the program offers a diverse range of courses and research opportunities, allowing students to tailor their studies to their specific interests and career goals.