Which University is Better for Studying Theoretical Physics in the Netherlands?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Lisastronomy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation is about a high-school student living in The Netherlands who is deciding between the University of Groningen and the University of Utrecht for a double bachelor in physics and math. They ask for advice on the quality of both universities and which one would be better for someone aspiring to be a theoretical physicist. The response mentions that both universities are good with good professors and that it's important to consider where the student would feel more at home. The person responding shares their experience studying in Groningen and the approachability of people there. They also recommend reading the book "Ruimte, tijd, materie" from Epsilon.
Lisastronomy
Hello,

I am a high-school student, living in The Netherlands. Next year it is my time to study on an university. I was convinced to go to the University of Groningen to do the double bachelor in physics and math, however.. I am not so sure anymore after seeing the university of Utrecht. I was wondering if anyone could advice me about the quality of both the universities and whether someone has any clue which university is a better university if one aspires to be a theoretical physicist.

Thank you in advance.

Likes S.G. Janssens and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
They are both good universities with good professors. Most universities in NL are close together regarding quality. Of course, Utrecht has the advantage of having Nobel prize winner Gerard 't Hooft, while Groningen has Ben Feringa, so if you already have very specific interests (more quantum mechanics or more nanotechnology related) there might be some slight advantage of one over the other.
Next to finding good tutors, it is also important to consider where you would feel more at home. If you feel more comfortable in Utrecht, go there. You also said:
Lisastronomy said:
I was convinced to go to the University of Groningen
This does not sound like it was entirely your choice. Listen to somebody's arguments instead of somebody's advice. What are their arguments for Groningen, and what are yours for Utrecht?

Likes S.G. Janssens and Delta2
I did both my Masters and PhD in Groningen (Van Swinderen Institute, Quantum Gravity). What I really liked about Groningen is the research group and approachability of people there. I think that in the end, the most important thing is how you feel at place, not particularly which courses are taught by whom; they're in both cases excellent.

And as a future Dutch physicist you surely must have read the book "Ruimte, tijd, materie" from Epsilon :P feel free to ask any questions!

Likes S.G. Janssens

What are the top universities in the Netherlands?

The top universities in the Netherlands include Delft University of Technology, University of Amsterdam, Leiden University, Utrecht University, and Wageningen University.

What are the requirements for international students to study in the Netherlands?

International students must have a valid passport, proof of sufficient funds to cover living expenses, and a student visa or residence permit to study in the Netherlands. They may also need to provide proof of English proficiency and meet specific requirements for their chosen program.

What is the cost of studying in the Netherlands?

The cost of studying in the Netherlands varies depending on the university and program, but on average, international students can expect to pay around €8,000-€20,000 per year for tuition fees. Living expenses, including accommodation, food, and transportation, can range from €800-€1,200 per month.

Can international students work while studying in the Netherlands?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time while studying in the Netherlands. They can work up to 16 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during holidays. However, students from certain countries may need to obtain a work permit before starting a job.

What are the popular fields of study in the Netherlands?

The Netherlands is known for its strong programs in fields such as engineering, business, economics, and social sciences. Other popular areas of study include agriculture, environmental sciences, and art and design.