Theoretical physics but worse in math

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics but has concerns about their mathematics skills. They are wondering if it is possible for them to still pursue this path and are seeking guidance. They are currently at the degree level and have taken courses in linear algebra and calculus but do not excel in them. They are unsure if they should make a decision after completing their master's degree. The suggested advice is to take additional courses in math, particularly Math for Physicists, complex variable, linear algebra, and differential equations, before pursuing a master's degree. It is also noted that some physics programs may have admission tests that require a strong background in math. The individual also expresses concerns about their understanding of geometry and if it is necessary
phyky
I am planning to pursue my phD in theoretical physics. But my mathematics skill is not that good and physics concept is ok. So can it possible? Hope someone can give me some guidance. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What academic level are you currently at? What is the highest level math course you have taken?

degree now. linear algebra and calculus but not very excel in them. Or should i make the decision after i take my master?

My opinion is that you must take some additional courses, mostly about Math for Physicists, complex variable, at least another course on linear algebra and differential equations including PDEs.

So, I would do the master first with upper level courses...

Some Physics programs have admission tests that are highly specific and open, so a good background in math would be good for your application.

Is the geometry a necessary tool for graduate study? I found myself worse in those geometry theorem. Cant really understand it...For the degree now, I deal with some ODE, linear algebra, and PDE only.

1. What is "Theoretical physics but worse in math"?

"Theoretical physics but worse in math" is a term used to describe a hypothetical situation where a theoretical physicist is not proficient in mathematical skills. It is often used as a humorous way to highlight the importance of mathematics in the field of theoretical physics.

2. Can someone be a successful theoretical physicist without strong math skills?

While it is possible for someone to have a limited understanding of mathematics and still make contributions to theoretical physics, having strong mathematical skills is crucial for success in the field. Theoretical physics heavily relies on mathematical equations and models to explain and predict physical phenomena.

3. How does mathematics play a role in theoretical physics?

Mathematics is the language of theoretical physics. It is used to describe and model complex physical phenomena, make predictions, and test theories. Theoretical physicists use a variety of mathematical tools, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, to develop and refine their theories.

4. Are there any famous theoretical physicists who struggled with math?

There have been some famous theoretical physicists who have faced challenges with mathematics. For example, Albert Einstein, one of the most renowned theoretical physicists in history, initially struggled with higher-level mathematics but was able to overcome his difficulties and make groundbreaking contributions to the field.

5. Can someone with a strong mathematical background become a theoretical physicist?

Yes, having a strong mathematical background is essential for pursuing a career in theoretical physics. A solid foundation in mathematics allows for a deeper understanding of complex physical theories and their applications. Many successful theoretical physicists have strong backgrounds in math and continue to develop their mathematical skills throughout their careers.