1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical physics but worse in math

1. Dec 24, 2012 #1
    I am planning to pursue my phD in theoretical physics. But my mathematics skill is not that good and physics concept is ok. So can it possible? Hope someone can give me some guidance. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

eri

What academic level are you currently at? What is the highest level math course you have taken?

4. Dec 25, 2012 #3
    degree now. linear algebra and calculus but not very excel in them. Or should i make the decision after i take my master?

5. Dec 30, 2012 #4
    My opinion is that you must take some additional courses, mostly about Math for Physicists, complex variable, at least another course on linear algebra and differential equations including PDEs.

So, I would do the master first with upper level courses...

Some Physics programs have admission tests that are highly specific and open, so a good background in math would be good for your application.

6. Jan 9, 2013 #5
    Is the geometry a necessary tool for graduate study? I found myself worse in those geometry theorem. Cant really understand it...For the degree now, I deal with some ODE, linear algebra, and PDE only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook