Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical Resolution of Hubble

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    It's quite simple Physics to show that the moon landing sites cannot be imaged by Hubble as its angular resolution is too small. So how come:

"Prof Steve Beckwith Director Hubble 1998-2005

"we could easily image the light from a firefly at the distance of the moon"

What am I missing here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    Yes. I think the author meant the Hubble can detect the lighting bug at that distance because it is very sensitive. But if there are 2 bugs at that distance and about 100m apart, Hubble will see them as one source of light.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

pixel01 is correct, but to add:

It is important to remember that cameras can take pictures of dim objects by essentially leaving the shutter open as long as you wish to gather up enough photons to make an image. The Hubble can spend weeks taking a picture of a single object to gather up enough photons to make it detectable.
  5. Jan 28, 2008 #4
    Is weeks how long it took to take the Deep Field image?
  6. Jan 28, 2008 #5
    Per my memory, the exposure time for the Ultra DF Image was about 29 days !

One of very important device of the Hubble TS is the Fine Guidance Sensor which is designed to lock the telescope onto the target.
  7. Jan 28, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?