Thermal Conductivity and latent heat

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a copper kettle, water, and heat. The task is to estimate the temperature difference in the kettle's base necessary for a certain amount of heat to pass through and raise the temperature of the water. The conversation also involves finding the specific latent heat of vaporization of water. Equations for thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, and latent heat are used to solve the problem. By starting with the power furnished to the kettle and using the given time, the mass of water vaporized and the specific latent heat of vaporization are calculated. The final value obtained is 2.4 x 106 J/kg/K.
risingabove

Homework Statement

If a copper kettle has a base of thickness 2.0mm and an area 3.0 x 10-2 m2 estimate the steady difference in temperature between the inner and outer surface of the base which
must be maintained to enable enough heat too pass through so that the temperature of 1 kg of water
rises of 0.25 K/s assume that there are no heat losses.

(ii) After reaching the temperature of 373K the water is allowed to boil under the same conditions for 120 seconds and the mass of water remaining in the kettle is 0.948kg.
Deduce a value for the specific latent heat of vaporization of water ( neglecting condensation of the steam in the kettle)

Homework Equations

Thermal conductivity of copper 3.8 x 102 W/m/C
Specific Heat Capacity of water 4.0 x 103 J/kg/K

Equations used

dQ/dt = kA(dΘ/dx)

where dQ/dt = rate of flow of heat
K = Thermal Conductivity
A = Area
dΘ = Change in Temperature
dx = Thickness
whereby dΘ/dx = Temperature gradient

Q = mCT

Where Q = Heat require
m = Mass of substance
C = Specific heat capacity
T = Temperature

Q= mL

Where Q = Heat Require
m = Mass
L = Latent Heat

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly i used the specific heat capacity equation to find the rate of flow of heat

Q = 1 (4.2 x 103 J/kg/K ) 0.25 K/s
= 1050 J/s

Using the above answer i substitute it into the equation for thermal conductivity

1050 = 3.8 x 102 W/m/C (3.0 x 10-2 m2 )(dΘ/0.002m)
by simple calculations my answer = 0.18 degrees

Part (ii)

I am abit lost as to where to go from here... but I am thinking i will have to multiply 120 seconds by 0.25K/s which = 30 K/s

and used the 30K/s in the specific heat capacity equation ...( but I am thinking that doesn't make any sense)

By using the 373k and substituting it into the heat capacity equation

Q = 1(4.2 x 103 J/kg/K)373
= 1566600J

and using the answer above in the Latent heat of vaporization equation

1566600 = 0.948L
L = 1.6 x 106 J/kg/K

This seems wrong tho...

By the way is my answer correct for Part (i) ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
risingabove said:
I am abit lost as to where to go from here... but I am thinking i will have to multiply 120 seconds by 0.25K/s which = 30 K/s
The temperature will be constant, so it's abit strange to start with something in K/s!

In part (i), you figured out how much power is furnished to the kettle. Start from there.

risingabove said:
By the way is my answer correct for Part (i) ??
I didn't check all the calculations, but the approach seemed right.

:biggrin: YAYYYYY i got!...geezeeee that was simple enough...

ok this is what i did ...please let me kno if I am correct...although i think i am

soo you said to start from the power i got in part (i) which was 1050 J/s

Therefore for rate of flow of heat( which is power) dQ/dt = 1050watts

since the time was given in the problem, 120seconds, i substituted it in for dt

solving for dQ i got 12600

then by subtracting the initial mass from the final, i got the mass of water that was vaporized
= 0.052

these values was then substituted into the formula for latent heat of vaporization

giving me 2.4 x 106

risingabove said:
these values was then substituted into the formula for latent heat of vaporization

giving me 2.4 x 106
Great, but don't forget the units :tongue2:

Your approach and calculations for Part (i) seem correct. The temperature difference of 0.18 degrees between the inner and outer surface of the copper kettle base is the steady state temperature difference that would be needed to maintain the desired rate of heat transfer.

For Part (ii), you are correct that you need to use the time of 120 seconds to calculate the change in temperature. But instead of multiplying it by the rate of temperature change, you need to divide it by the total heat required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water from its initial temperature to 373K. This will give you the rate of temperature change during the boiling process.

So, the rate of temperature change during boiling is:

ΔT/Δt = (373-293K)/120s = 1K/s

Now, using this rate of temperature change in the specific heat capacity equation, you can calculate the total heat required to raise the temperature of 0.948 kg of water from 293K to 373K:

Q = (0.948 kg)(4.2 x 103 J/kg/K)(373-293K) = 37,656 J

This is the total heat required to raise the temperature of the water. But during boiling, this heat is also used to convert the water into steam. So, you need to subtract the heat required for this phase change from the total heat to get the heat used for temperature change:

Q = 37,656 J - (0.948 kg)(2.26 x 106 J/kg) = 35,617 J

Finally, using this heat in the specific heat capacity equation, you can calculate the rate of temperature change during boiling:

ΔT/Δt = 35,617 J/120 s = 297 K/s

This is the rate of temperature change during boiling. Now, using this rate in the specific heat capacity equation, you can calculate the specific latent heat of vaporization of water:

L = Q/m = (35,617 J)/(0.948 kg) = 3.75 x 106 J/kg

This is the specific latent heat of vaporization of water, which neglects any condensation of steam in the kettle. Your final answer of 1.6 x 106 J/kg/K seems incorrect, as it is much lower than the accepted value of 2.26 x 106 J/kg. Double-check your calculations to

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the property of a material that determines how well it can transfer heat. It is a measure of how easily heat passes through a material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This instrument applies a temperature gradient across a sample of material and measures the rate of heat transfer. The thermal conductivity value is then calculated using this data.

3. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

There are several factors that can affect thermal conductivity, including the type of material, its density, and its temperature. Generally, materials with higher density and lower thermal conductivity will have a higher thermal conductivity value.

4. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature. This can occur during processes such as melting, freezing, and evaporation.

5. How is latent heat related to thermal conductivity?

Latent heat and thermal conductivity are related in that materials with higher thermal conductivity will require more energy to change their state. This is because these materials more easily transfer heat, making it more difficult to maintain a specific temperature during a phase change. Conversely, materials with lower thermal conductivity will require less energy to change their state.