1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic potential question,help!

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    i have studied my lecture notes back to front and looked high and low for a clue how to do this question but i tried in a) constructing an expression for u and came up with DU= +TDS -PDV - FDL BAUT I COULD BE MILES OUT. could anyone help.

thanks

here it goes:

A piece of rubber of length L is subject to work by a hydrostatic pressure P and also
    by a tensional force F.

a)Construct the expression for dU.
    [Hint: the usual expression will have an extra term added to it corresponding
    to the increment of work performed by F

b)Generate (i.e. invent new) thermodynamic potentials that have as proper vari-
    ables (S; V; F); (S; P; F) and (T; P; F).
    [Note: the potential R has (S; V; F) as proper variables if dR = xdS+ydV +zdF
    where x; y; z are to be found.]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2
    you can't think of three thermo equations with variables (S; V; F); (S; P; F) and (T; P; F)?

4. Mar 1, 2007 #3
    for example could it be DR =TDS + PDV + LDF FOR (SVF), AND FOR (SPF) DN = TDS + VDP + LDF ? I am just not sure what question means thats all, can anyone help?

5. Mar 1, 2007 #4
    i suppose they want you to derive new (invent new?) potentials, but I would go ahead and use internal energy change and say
    dU = dQ - dW
    dQ = TdS
    dW = PdV +ldf
    now dU = TdS - (PdV + LdF)

stick to something basic and use the four potentials (internal, hemholtz, gibbs, and enthalpy) as a basis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?