1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Quasi 1-D Air Mixture

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Constant area mixing tube with stations (1) and (2) (i.e., (1)-->-->--(2))
    At station (1):
    - Mixture of two air streams, defined as Primary (p) and Secondary (s)
    u_p = 300 m/s
    T_p = 900K
    u_s = 30 m/s
    T_s = 300K
    p_1 = 0.1 MPa
    (A_p)/(A_s) = 1/3

1-D flow assumed

Find: Pressure, Velocity, and Temperature at station (2)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\dot{m}_{1}=\dot{m}_{2}[/itex] (Continuity)
    [itex]\dot{m}_{1}h_{01}=\dot{m}_{2}h_{02}[/itex] (1st Law)
    [itex]\sum \vec{F}=\frac{d}{dt}\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dV}+\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dA} [/itex](Conservation of Momentum)
    [itex]p=\rho R T[/itex] (perfect-gas law)

3. The attempt at a solution
    From Continuity:
    [itex]\dot{m}_{p}+\dot{m}_{s}=\dot{m}_{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\rho_{p}u_{p}A_{p}+\rho_{s}u_{s}A_{s}=\rho_{2}u_{2}A_{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}=\rho_{2}u_{2}[/itex]

From 1st law:
    [itex]\dot{m}_{p}(h_{p}+\frac{1}{2}u_{p}^{2})+\dot{m}_{s}(h_{s}+\frac{1}{2}u_{s}^{2})=\dot{m}_{2}(h_{2}+\frac{1}{2}u_{2}^{2})[/itex] (incidentally, anyone know why this LaTeX isn't working properly?)
    [itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}(c_{p_{p}}T_{p}+\frac{1}{2}u_{p}^{2})+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}(c_{p_{s}}T_{s}+\frac{1}{2}u_{s}^{2})=\rho_{2}u_{2}(c_{p_{2}}T_{2}+\frac{1}{2}u_{2}^{2})[/itex]

From Conservation of Momentum:
    [itex]\int{\rho\vec{u}(\vec{u}\hat{n})dA}=p_{1}-p_{2}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{4}\rho_{p}u_{p}^{2}+\frac{3}{4}\rho_{s}u_{s}^{2}-\rho_{2}u_{2}=p_{1}-p_{2}[/itex]

I can get [itex]\rho_{2}u_{2}[/itex] and the stagnation enthalpy at station 2, but beyond that I'm not sure how to proceed. I feel like there's an assumption that I'm missing which would allow me to calculate [itex]p_{2}[/itex] or some other condition at station 2, and then use the perfect-gas law to fill things out, but I'm not sure what that is. I freely admit that there's probably something about how the conditions necessary to apply these equations interact which I'm not understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry you have no replies yet. I personally don't know what a mixing tube is. A diagram would help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook