Thermofluids -- A fireboat carries out a turning manoeuvre

In summary, the conversation covers several questions related to physics. The first question discusses the tilting direction of a fireboat during a turning manoeuvre and the forces involved in the boat's movement. The second question explores the slower progress of a fireman on marshland or sandy ground compared to hard ground, and the concept of energy conservation. The third question focuses on the impact of a bullet on thin-walled glass and the effect of water on the glass's shattering. The final question delves into the floating of a body on water and the volume of the body submerged when the water vessel moves with acceleration. The conversation highlights the need to consider forces, energy conservation, and fluid compressibility in understanding these phenomena.
Gaby
Homework Statement
THERMOFLUIDS

Q3 (a) When a fireboat carries out a turning manoeuvre (i.e. a curvilinear motion) it is known to tilt about its axis. In which direction will the tilting occur, and why? (5 marks)

I think I need to reference the forces that are acting on the boat in my specific simple design.

(b) Why does a fireman progress more slowly when running through marshland, or sandy ground, than on hard ground? (5 marks)

I think I need to reference energy conservation, the energy spent by the fireman, for fixed energy per time, how it is spent or conserved.

(c) When a bullet hits a thin walled glass, it is known to make two holes: one through which the bullet enters the object and one through which it exits. However, when the glass is filled with water, it is known to be shattered by the same bullet. Why does this happen? (5 marks)

I think this question is about compressibility of fluid.

(d) A body floats on water. With the water being in a quiescent state, half of the body is submerged. What fraction of body volume will be submerged into water when water vessel will move with acceleration: - upward or downward? (10 marks)
Relevant Equations
Not sure.
I would be greatful for any hints and guidance on how to approach these question, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gaby said:
Q3 (a) When a fireboat carries out a turning manoeuvre (i.e. a curvilinear motion) it is known to tilt about its axis. In which direction will the tilting occur, and why? (5 marks)

I think I need to reference the forces that are acting on the boat in my specific simple design.
Ok, so what are they? And what is its acceleration?
(You can choose between an inertial reference frame or the frame of reference of the fireboat.)
Gaby said:
(b) Why does a fireman progress more slowly when running through marshland, or sandy ground, than on hard ground? (5 marks)

I think I need to reference energy conservation, the energy spent by the fireman, for fixed energy per time, how it is spent or conserved.
So post an actual attempt.
Gaby said:
(c) When a bullet hits a thin walled glass, it is known to make two holes: one through which the bullet enters the object and one through which it exits. However, when the glass is filled with water, it is known to be shattered by the same bullet. Why does this happen? (5 marks)

I think this question is about compressibility of fluid.
Yes... go on...
Gaby said:
(d) A body floats on water. With the water being in a quiescent state, half of the body is submerged. What fraction of body volume will be submerged into water when water vessel will move with acceleration: - upward or downward? (10 marks)
What are your thoughts on that one? Have you drawn a free body diagram (FBD)?

Thanks! will work on this

1. How does a fireboat use thermofluids to carry out a turning manoeuvre?

A fireboat uses thermofluids, specifically the principles of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics, to generate the necessary force and propulsion to execute a turning manoeuvre. This is achieved through the use of powerful water pumps, nozzles, and specialized hull designs that create high-pressure jets of water to push the boat in the desired direction.

2. What is the role of thermofluids in firefighting operations?

Thermofluids play a crucial role in firefighting operations, particularly in marine settings. Fireboats use thermofluids to pump and spray water onto the fire, helping to cool and extinguish the flames. They also use thermofluids to navigate through the water and reach the fire quickly and efficiently.

3. How does the design of a fireboat's hull affect its thermofluid performance?

The design of a fireboat's hull is a critical factor in its thermofluid performance. A streamlined hull design helps to reduce drag and increase the speed and efficiency of the boat. Additionally, the shape and placement of the hull can affect the direction and force of the water jets, allowing for better control and manoeuvrability.

4. Can thermofluids be used for other purposes besides firefighting on a fireboat?

Yes, thermofluids have a wide range of applications in various industries, including power generation, chemical processing, and transportation. In addition to firefighting, fireboats can also use thermofluids for oil spill response, search and rescue operations, and other emergency situations on the water.

5. How do thermofluid systems on a fireboat ensure safety and reliability?

Thermofluid systems on a fireboat are designed and maintained to ensure safety and reliability during operations. Regular inspections and maintenance help to identify and address any potential issues before they become a safety hazard. Additionally, fireboat crews undergo extensive training to operate and maintain these systems properly, ensuring their safe and effective use in emergency situations.