Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They're trying to kill us!

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36599635/ns/health-pet_health/" [Broken]

I suppose this won't be a surprise to anyone who has lived with a dog or cat. But what is a bit surprising:

And all along we thought it was our cats who were out to kill us - turns out all along, it was the dog!

Who the heck chases cats?!?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah I wrecked the house chasing my cat. Overturned furniture, broken dishes, plants falling on the ground. Few minutes into the chase you wonder to yourself, 'why am I chasing her again?' Good times

4. Apr 16, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't ever recall chasing a cat. I won't even mention all of the dog related injuries that sent me to the ER.

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4
    It's more fun to make the cat trip while chasing things... like a laser pointer beam.

6. Apr 16, 2010 #5
    I nearly died a couple days ago. I was chasing my cat, tripped and came an inch from hitting my temple on my entertainment center corner.

7. Apr 16, 2010 #6

Evo

Good grief!!!

Why were you chasing your cat?

8. Apr 16, 2010 #7
    We play hide and seek, and you chase me and then I chase you. Loads of fun!

9. Apr 16, 2010 #8
    I play with my cat that way too, I haven't tripped yet.:uhh:

10. Apr 16, 2010 #9

Evo

Ahaha. If I had tried that with my cat, he would have walked off in disgust. You could dangle a cat toy in front of him and he'd just give you a blank stare. He was into nocturnal "love fests" though.

11. Apr 16, 2010 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the documentary evidence, large black women that only exists from the waist down - it's especially dangerous if you have fold down ironing boards, heavy metal flat irons, and 6ft tall stacks of crockery in every sink.

12. Apr 17, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I try to stay planted in my chair when playing with Duke in the house. Whether he's bringing me his ball to throw (we have an elaborate 5-10 minute ritual to go through before I can wrest it from the "jaws of death!") or playing with the green laser pointer, he is always full-on-100%. If you are in the way, well, that's your problem. He is 50+ # of solid muscle and bone and he hits like a line-backer.

13. Apr 27, 2010 #12
    "Fainted while training her dog"? That's her health problem, why blame the dog?
    And how does one fell UP steps??

14. Apr 27, 2010 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There was a big dog on the other side of the leash she was attached to.

15. Apr 27, 2010 #14

Evo

I've fallen up stairs before. You trip and lunge forward as you are going up.

16. Apr 27, 2010 #15

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of years ago I came home to find the uprights from the landing of our stairs scattered around on the floor below. My daughter was sitting in the living room, when I asked her what happened, she very casually said, "Oh, yeah, Mom fell down the stairs".

ME -> :bugeye: :eek: What!

Seems that our wobbly loose uprights where just tight enough to stop her, but not so tight as to cause injury. They came out, she stayed up. With nothing more then a few bruises and significant injury to her dignity. The cause was our over active Papillon/border collie getting underfoot as she came down the stairs. Fortunately, neither her not the dog were injured.

17. Apr 27, 2010 #16

Astronuc

I've chased a cat when he or she had something in his or her mouth that they weren't supposed to swallow, e.g., ribbon. Or when it's time to clip the nails, and he (usually he) escapes my arms by digging claws into my abdomen or chest and propels himself out of my grip. Well - now we wrap him in a towel.

Over the years, I've learned to sneak up on them.

But they've learned to do the same.

Sometimes I'll turn around and find the dog or cat right behind me, and I've tripped a few times over the cat or dog. So I've learned to look down when turning and before stepping.

18. Apr 27, 2010 #17
    To be fair, the average dog is far more capable of inflicting injury than the average cat. There is also the consideration that cats tend to scratch first, vs. dogs which tend to bite first. A scratch may be unpleasant, and lead to infection... but does not put one at undue risk of rabies. A BITE on the other hand... no pun.

There is also the question of how and when cats encounter people, vs. dogs. Cats are very capable at escape, whereas dogs are easier to corner... cornered animals do not react well.

All in all... bigger, brawnier, and generally more toothy and jaw-intensive... of course dogs are more involved.

Cats, on the other hand, wait until we're asleep and then go do wetwork for foreign governments. :biggrin:

19. Apr 27, 2010 #18

20. Apr 27, 2010 #19

Astronuc

Is Cha-Cha a Siamese by any chance? My mom had a beautiful seal point Siamese who she named Cha-Cha. Then we had another seal point named Ling-Ling.

21. Apr 27, 2010 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook