1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin film interference reflection

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coating of n1 = 1.27 material is to be added to n2 = 1.50 glass, in order to make it "irridescent."
    a) What is the thinnest layer of material which will have a reflection maximum for normal-incidence light at BOTH 400 and 600 nm (vacuum) wavelength?
    b) This thickness will have a reflection minimum at some wavelength between 400 and 600 nm. What is the wavelength of the reflection minimum?

2. Relevant equations

2*d=lambda(coating), 2*d=lambda(coating)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the first part correct and the answer was 472 nm but I can't get b right. For b I did 2*d=lambda(coating)/2 since it says that the reflection will be minimum.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. Relevant equations

2*d=lambda(coating), 2*d=lambda(coating)/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the first part correct and the answer was 472 nm but I can't get b right. For b I did 2*d=lambda(coating)/2 since it says that the reflection will be minimum.[/QUOTE]

In order to get minimum reflectance, the path difference between the directly reflected wave and that, which reflects from the glass-layer interface has to be odd number times half of lambda(coating) .

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Destructive interference occurs at ##2d =\lambda/2##, but also at other path differences....

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4
    In your problem light moves from low u to high u.reflection minimum means the part of incident rays reflected will suffer destructive interference .hence 2ud=n(lambda).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted