Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking about entering a chili contest

1. Sep 21, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's the annual chili cook off at work, and based on the sorry, pathetic entries last year, someone needs to show these people what real chili is. Real chili is not soupy nor does it contain bell peppers. Bell peppers are not what they're referring to when a chili recipe calls for peppers. Some of the entries were full of sugar. :yuck: :eek: Terms like "disgusting" and "inedible" came to mind as I sampled the entries.

Anyone want to share their chili secrets with me? There is no prize, just an office cook off.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2006 #2

Evo

And real chili is not made with bottled salsa. :mad: :devil:

My recipe *does* include a bottle of beer and a "secret ingredient" that I picked up from the mother of an old boyfriend. It really added a great flavor.

I wish I could get my hands on some "hot" paprika for the chili.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  4. Sep 21, 2006 #3
    2 teaspoons oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 can dark beer
    1 cup strong coffee
    2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    2 cans beef broth {get the good stuff}
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 peppers of your choice
    secret addition.....{shhhhh}1 tablespoon cocoa powder

brown the meat in the oil, add the onion and garlic, cook together about 10 more minutes..then add the rest of the stuff..cook over low heat for at least 2 hours, untill the cubed meat is falling apart tender.

If you want to add beans add them one hour into the cooking..but REAL chili does not have beans. Brooks chili hot beans work well with this mix.

5. Sep 21, 2006 #4

Evo

I've got to try this, sounds good!

6. Sep 21, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, when I make chili, I add bell pepper...just one. I like the flavor it adds. But, yeah, on everything else, shouldn't be watery (that's called soup, not chili), and shouldn't have sugar :yuck:, and should be HOT!

7. Sep 21, 2006 #6
    I always put homemade salsa in my chili, sometimes corn and always lots of chopped garlic. Last time I used buffalo instead of ground beef and it was great!

8. Sep 21, 2006 #7

Evo

corn and salsa..NOOOOOOOOO :cry:

I'm talking traditional chili, no veggies, no fish, no chicken (buffalo is good) no noodles, no tofu or soy products.

You young people don't even know what real chili tastes like. :frown:

9. Sep 21, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like bell peppers in my chilli also, I'd agree not as a 'spice' though.

I have a supply of some kind of small red pepper I've dried (I have no idea what kind, my girlfirend gave me a plant). They make my face burn.

The rest of the ingredients are pretty random, but a few different kinds of beans are mandatory (so is ground beef!). The texture of the beans is always the trickiest part, I don't like them mushy or too firm.

10. Sep 21, 2006 #9

Evo

It's against the law to put beans in Texas chili. Well, perhaps not illegal, but chili con carne is the "Official Texas State Dish" proclaimed by the 1977 Texas Legislature.

I like beans in chili, but it is considered sacrilage by true chili afficianados.

Bell peppers do not exist in real Texas chili. <sigh> Oh, and no ground beef, cubed beef or chili grind at the least.

11. Sep 21, 2006 #10
    Haha I know what good chili tastes like I just add in everything possible to make it last longer now.

12. Sep 21, 2006 #11

Evo

:cry: :cry: :cry:

The "only" thing acceptable is pouring it over rice.

You guys are killing me. :frown:

13. Sep 21, 2006 #12

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

beans add so nicely to the, uhh, after eating experience though.

14. Sep 21, 2006 #13
    OK yeah i will admit I thought chili was supposed to have beans...I have never heard of it not having those.

15. Sep 21, 2006 #14

Evo

Cooking for the Chili Appreciation Society International was Wick Fowler, legendary chief cook of that organization, which was formed in 1951 by George Haddaway. So profound a lover of chili was Haddaway that he once physically attacked a Houston chef who put Boston baked beans in his chili. The police came and, according to reports, yelled at the chef.

http://www.carrollshelby.com/chili.htm

16. Sep 21, 2006 #15

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hate baked beans, at least those gross things that come in a can. A nice firmish, red kidney bean adds a nice texture. *shrug* I guess I don't know anything about making chili. I only know how to make food I find delicous, I can live with that.

17. Sep 21, 2006 #16

Evo

Even the blasphemers only use pinto beans. EGADS!!!

Yeah, I like beans in my chili sometimes, but the only beans for that are pinto. Funny, I've been reading all night about what not to put in chili.

The original chili didn't even have tomatoes, but I like a bit of tomato in my chili, but I still hold very true to the simple original recipes. The simpler, the better for chili.

18. Sep 21, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) eye of newt
    2) wing of bat
    776) antenna of fire ant

19. Sep 21, 2006 #18
    Ok if chili doesnt have beans, or tomatoes what exactly does it have haha?

20. Sep 22, 2006 #19
    I didn't realize any of this, and it looks like I have never had real chili.

21. Sep 22, 2006 #20

Astronuc

Meat and spices. :tongue2:

:rofl: But you forgot 'Thirteen Black Widow Spiders - Pureed', a pinch of stinger of black scorpion, and one large 'Red Tarantula'. :tongue2: Stir vigourously and let simmer. Add rattlesnake venom to taste. :biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?