Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thinking of a lower bound for a function

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    A function ##f:\mathbb{R}^3_+\to[0,1]## defined as ##f(\lambda,\beta,x)=1-e^{-\frac{\lambda}{\beta}\left(1-e^{-\beta x}\right)}## serves a lot of pain under integration.
    As this function is used to describe a lower bound, could anyone suggest another non-zero function that would be smaller than ##f##?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Making f smaller <-> making the outer exponential larger <-> making the argument larger <-> making the negative argument smaller <-> making the inner exponential larger
    Hmm, bad direction.

You can use approximations like ##e^{-x}<max\left(\frac{1}{e},1-\frac{x}{2}\right)## for example (possible for both exponentials), but I'm not sure if that makes calculations easier.

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    Having one exponential is perfectly acceptable, it's the ##\exp(...\exp(...))## bit that's causing the integration problems.
    It seems that ##g(x)=(1-e^{-\frac{\lambda}{\beta}})\cdot\min(\frac{1}{e},1-e^{-\beta x})## is a good enough lower bound. Thank you.

EDIT: Just found an even better bound: ##f(\lambda,\beta,x)>(1-e^{-\frac{\lambda}{\beta}})(1-e^{-\beta x})##.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. May 2, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

This is equivalent to $$1-q^r > (1-q)r$$ for 0<r,q<1. I don't find a counterexample, but I wonder why this is true (and how to show it).

(##q=\exp(-\frac \lambda \beta)## and ##r=1-\exp(-\beta x)##)

6. May 2, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

7. May 3, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Ah nice. It needs some re-writing, but then it is really just Bernoulli's inequality. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook