Thinner beer bottle has lower heat loss?

In summary, Heineken has replaced its old stubby bottles with the standard American longnecks, with reason being that the longer bottle has a higher surface area and thus supposedly keeps the beer colder. Methinks that Heineken figured out it could source the longneck bottles cheaper and some marketeer just decided to make this reason up. However, it's just a hypothesis and an experiment would be the quickest way to tell.
swampwiz
I was reading an article about how Heineken has replaced its short stubby bottles with the standard American longnecks, with reason:

In 2013 the company replaced its old stubby bottles with a fashionably long-necked version that supposedly keeps the beer cold longer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-click-fraud/?cmpid=BBD092415_BIZ

This seems counterintuitive to me as a longer bottle has a higher surface area, although I suppose that it isn't much, and perhaps a proper CFD analysis could show this. Methinks that Heineken figured out it could source the longneck bottles cheaper and some marketeer just decided to make this reason up.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could be. An experiment would be the quickest way to tell.

If you hold the bottle by the neck than there will be less heat transfer to you hands.

BoB

Likes Dr. Courtney
I didn't consider that the analysis presumed someone holding the bottle. I guess when I drink, I leave it on a table between gulps.

rbelli1 said:
If you hold the bottle by the neck than there will be less heat transfer to you hands.
How so?
The contact surface is going to be based on your hand, not on the bottle shape (since you need to ensure a good grip).
Seems to me, there won't be any appreciable difference.

In fact, I think I can pretty trivially demonstrate that the surface contact on a narrow cylinder is pretty close to the surface contact on a fat cylinder.

I'm with the OP. They made it up.

Now this is science we can all get behind.

Also, heat wouldn't transfer to your hands, it would transfer from your hands. I would think it would have way more to do with the chemistry of the glass and it's insulating properties than it's shape.

newjerseyrunner said:
I would think it would have way more to do with the chemistry of the glass and it's insulating properties than it's shape.
Well, sure, but there's no reason to think those things are different between the two designs.

The reason shape should make a difference is because of surface area between hot and cold areas. More surface area with higher heat flux equals faster transfer.

It's just that they've got counter-intuitive results.
For a given volume, a long narrow cylinder has more surface area than a stubby cylinder, and thus the thinner bottle should warm up faster. Yet they claim the thinner bottle warms up slower.

I have a question, when a beer warms up, what's the actual heat sink? The air or the table it's on? Hot vs cold in regards to surface area shouldn't matter as much as the surface area of poor vs good insulators. Making a taller thinner bottle increases the surface area touching air, but reduces the amount of surface touching the table. If actually holding it, people tend to hold those fat short bottles by the bottle, exposing your hand, which is also a better conductor than air, where when I hold the taller bottles, I tend to hold onto the neck to prevent my hand from getting cold.

Floating in space, I agree the higher surface area would cause faster entropy. Sitting on a table or in somebody's hand, I'd expect the opposite results.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the sitting on the table part, bottles don't have flat bottoms, they only have a small ring that actually touches the surface so I don't know.

newjerseyrunner said:
I have a question, when a beer warms up, what's the actual heat sink? The air or the table it's on? Hot vs cold in regards to surface area shouldn't matter as much as the surface area of poor vs good insulators. Making a taller thinner bottle increases the surface area touching air, but reduces the amount of surface touching the table. If actually holding it, people tend to hold those fat short bottles by the bottle, exposing your hand, which is also a better conductor than air, where when I hold the taller bottles, I tend to hold onto the neck to prevent my hand from getting cold.

Floating in space, I agree the higher surface area would cause faster entropy. Sitting on a table or in somebody's hand, I'd expect the opposite results.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the sitting on the table part, bottles don't have flat bottoms, they only have a small ring that actually touches the surface so I don't know.

I feel like this is the correct answer...

In a perfect space,where air is the only means of heat transfer,the shorter bottle,with less surface area,would be the winner.

But in a real life scenario, with real life variables,the longer bottle MIGHT stay cooler long enough to finish the beverage,considering that most people grip the neck,thus,lowering the amount of contact time with the liquid itself.

Of course I could just be blowing hot air (slight pun intended). So anybody want to correct me,as this is just a theory...haha

Likes newjerseyrunner
ProjectTruth said:
But in a real life scenario, with real life variables,the longer bottle MIGHT stay cooler long enough to finish the beverage,considering that most people grip the neck,thus,lowering the amount of contact time with the liquid itself.
I see some logic in that.

What is the relationship between the thickness of a beer bottle and its heat loss?

The thinner a beer bottle is, the lower its heat loss will be. This is because thinner materials have a lower thermal conductivity, meaning they are not as efficient at transferring heat as thicker materials.

Why does a thinner beer bottle have lower heat loss?

Thinner beer bottles have a smaller surface area compared to thicker bottles, meaning there is less area for heat to escape from. Additionally, the material of a thinner bottle has a lower thermal conductivity, resulting in slower heat transfer.

How does heat loss affect the temperature of a beer?

The heat loss of a beer bottle can greatly impact the temperature of the beer inside. If the bottle has a high heat loss, the beer will cool down faster and become warmer more quickly. On the other hand, a lower heat loss will result in a slower temperature change.

Is a thinner beer bottle more energy efficient?

Yes, a thinner beer bottle is more energy efficient because it has a lower heat loss. This means less energy is required to maintain the temperature of the beer, resulting in less energy consumption and lower costs.

Are there any downsides to using a thinner beer bottle?

One potential downside to using a thinner beer bottle is that it may be more fragile and prone to breaking. Additionally, a thinner bottle may not insulate the beer as well, resulting in a shorter period of time where the beer is at the desired temperature.

Back