Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third order differential equation

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    Hi all, I need to understand these differential equations specially moving from the second order to the third order because i couldn't understand how they got to the result, what was exactly the principle:

$$ y'=f(x,y) $$

$$ y''=\frac{df}{dx}(x,y(x)) = f_{x}(x,y) + f_{y}(x,y)y' = f_{x}(x,y) + f_{y}(x,y)f(x,y) $$

$$ y'''=f_{xx}+2ff_{xy}+f_{yy}f^{2}+f_{x}f_{y}+ff_{y}^{2} $$

where $$ f_{x} $$ is the partial derivation of x and so for the similar other quantities.
    please help me with it, thank you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

use the same principles you used for going from first order to second order. You will need to use product rule, because ##y''## contains ##f_yf## which is a product of two functions. But it is not much more complicated than going from first order to second order.

hint: for any function ##g(x,y)## you have: ##g'=g_x+g_y y'## (where ##g'## means total derivative with respect to x).

4. Jan 16, 2015 #3
    $$ y''' = f_{xx} + f_{xy} y' + f ( f_{yx} + f_{yy} f) + f_{y} (f_{x} + f_{y} f) $$

which leads to the final result.

5. Jan 17, 2015 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

yep. looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook