Third part to a stoichiometry question

In summary, the conversation discussed the production of Fe2O3 and SO2 by roasting 2.00kg of Fe3S4. The amounts of Fe2O3 and SO2 produced were calculated to be 1.62kg and 1.73kg, respectively. The question of how many litres of air at 25 degrees C are required for roasting was also raised, and a possible equation for solving it was suggested.
lorka150
This is the full question:

Suppose you roast 2.00kg of Fe3S4. The equation:

4Fe3S4 + 25 O2 --> 6Fe2O3 + 16SO2.
a) How many kg of Fe2O3 will be produced?
b) How many kg of SO2 will be produced?
c) How many litres of air at 25 degrees C are required for roasting? Assuming air has 23% O2 by mass, and density of 25C is 1.2 g/L.
The molar masses are Fe3S4 = 295.8 g/mol, Fe2O3 = 159.69 g/mol and SO2 is 64.06 g/mol.

I have done a and b.
a) = 1.62kg
b) = 1.73kg.

I have NO IDEA how to do C! Please guide!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that since its 23% by mass you can say that O2 is 23g out of a 100g sample of air. with this i got the following equation.

23gO2( 1L )= 23/1.2= 19.6L
( 1.2g )

Im farely posative about this answer, although i may be incorrect.

thank you, i tried it again, and ended up with the same answer. !

sry if my equation is not clear it should be 1L/1.2g.

1. What exactly is a "third part" in a stoichiometry question?

A "third part" in a stoichiometry question refers to the final step in solving a stoichiometry problem, where the answer is calculated based on the given information and the balanced chemical equation.

2. How do I determine the "third part" in a stoichiometry question?

The "third part" in a stoichiometry question can be identified by looking for keywords such as "calculate," "determine," or "find" in the question. It is usually the last step in the problem after all the necessary conversions and calculations have been completed.

3. What information do I need to solve the "third part" of a stoichiometry question?

In order to solve the "third part" of a stoichiometry question, you will need the balanced chemical equation, the given information (usually in moles or grams), and the molar masses of all the substances involved in the reaction.

4. Can I use the same method to solve the "third part" for every stoichiometry question?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve the "third part" for every stoichiometry question. This involves setting up and solving a proportion using the given information and the coefficients from the balanced chemical equation.

5. What is the significance of the "third part" in a stoichiometry question?

The "third part" in a stoichiometry question is the final step in solving the problem and provides the answer in the desired units. It is important because it allows us to accurately determine the amount of product produced or reactant consumed in a chemical reaction.