1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the number of water molecules in trans. metal complex

1. Jan 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I had an inorganic lab this week which involved making VO(acac)2 from VOSO4⋅xH2O. In order to calculate the percentage yield, I need to work out x, that is, the number of water molecules coordinated with the vanadyl sulfate n-hydrate before the reaction. I'm stuck, because I know we didn't get a very high yield as we only had a short time to crystallise, and the yield we did measure wasn't very accurate as we had little time to dry the product before weighing (from mixing reagents to weighing product: less than an hour). As far as I know, without knowing how many water molecules there were in the vanadyl reagent, I can't know which was the limiting reagent & therefore what the percentage yield is, but if the mass of product we got is not close to what it should be stoichiometrically, I can't calculate x.

Am I correct? Is there anything I can do? Detailed info below.

[By the by: while I do need to work this out for a lab report, I'm posting here because I'd really appreciate some insight into the problem - I know the demonstrator bent the rules & told some classmates what x is & I can just ask them, but I'd like to see if there's a way to work it out. Everyone else has been carrying out this experiment in the same timeframe which implies that there might be a way to reason it out, even with imperfect data. Thanks in advance!]

2. Relevant equations

Chemical equation:
    VOSO4⋅xH2O + Na2CO3 + 2C5H8O2 → VO(C5H7O2)2 + Na2SO4 + (x+1)H2O + CO2

3. The attempt at a solution

Amounts of reagents used:
    Molar mass of Na2CO3 = 105.99 g mol-1
    2.5 g used = (2.5 / 105.99) mol = 0.0236 mol used

Molar mass C5H8O2 = 100.12 g mol-1
    2.5 cm3 used
    Density of liquid C5H8O2 = (970 g / 1000 cm3) = 0.970 g cm-3 ⇒ 2.5 cm3 = (2.5 x 0.97) g = 2.425 g
    2.425 g used = (2.425 / 100.12) mol = 0.0242 mol used

Molar mass VOSO4⋅xH2O = [163.00 + 18.015x] g mol-1
    2.5 g used
    If x = 1: 2.5 g = (2.5 / 181.015) mol = 0.138 mol theoretical yield
    If x = 2: 2.5 g = (2.5 / 199.03) mol = 0.126 mol theoretical yield
    If x = 3: 2.5g = (2.5 / 217.045) mol = 0.0115 mol theoretical yield

(I asked the demonstrator at the start of the class if x was 4 (from my pre-lab reading, I thought that was most likely) & he said no, it was fewer than that, so I've just worked out x = 1,2,3 for the product.)

Product:
    Molar mass VO(C5H7O2)2 = 265.157 g mol-1
    1.66 g yielded = (1.66 / 265.157) mol = 0.00626 mol yielded

This is far less than any of the possibilities given above. Am I screwed? :redface: Can I extract anything meaningful from that result?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi theere, cute avatar :rolleyes:
    1. How many mole of C5H8O2 per mole of VOSO4.xH2O ?
    2. Don't you become even a little bit suspicious if x = 1,2,3 gives such vastly differing numbers of moles yield ?

4. Jan 21, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the response! So there are 2 moles C5H8O2 per mole of VOSO4.xH2O, which tells me that
    1. The Na2CO3 is in excess & won't affect yield
    2. If the stoichiometric amount of VOSO4.xH2O was used, that would be (0.5 x 0.0242 mol) = 0.0121 mol of VOSO4.xH2O.
    This is closest to x=2 in the formula, which I worked out as corresponding to 0.0126 mol of VOSO4.2H2O in the 2.5g we used. (Looks like I left out a decimal place in the x=... calculations - I'll fix that in the original post now.)

So... is that how I should go about this problem? It makes sense if the C5H8O2 was the limiting reagent - but what if the VOSO4.xH2O was? I think that's the part I'm not quite grasping.

5. Jan 21, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is awkward -- it seems I read your original post only halfway (up to what I quoted) and missed the minimal yield you obtained.
    I can't fathom why you only get about half of the expected yield, unless insufficient time for crystallisation and drying etc indeed messed things up. @Borek any ideas ?

6. Jan 22, 2017 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, nothing valuable to add.

The only thing that caught my attention is that of these three:

only the last one is correct (hint: limiting reagent is different for first two values of x). But it doesn't make any difference when it comes to calculating the x, which - if the numbers are treated blindly as they are - comes out as close to 13.

7. Jan 23, 2017 #6
    Ok, so basically I'm scuppered by the low yield - that's what I suspected. Thanks for your input @Borek & @BvU , was good to think through the problem regardless :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted