Question Related To Volume Strength Of H2O2.

Convert this concentration to volume strength.In summary, to find the final volume strength of H2O2 (aq), we need to calculate the amount of H2O2 that was left after decomposition and the final volume after the changes. From this, we can determine the final concentration and convert it to volume strength. This will give us a final volume strength of 33.6 V.
CosmicC
1. Question Statement and details : 500 mL of 56V H2O2 is kept in an open container due to which some H2O2 is decomposed and evolves 8gm O2 simultaneously, during the process some H2O also vapourizes.Due to all these changes final volume is reduced by 20%. Find final volume strength of H2O2 (aq).
It's a multiple choice question. Options are as follows
(a.) 56V (b) 44.8 V (c.) 11.2V (d.) 33.6V. Correct Answer is 33.6 V.

2. Homework Equations :
Molarity = Volume strength/11.2 and Normality = Volume Strength , in balanced reaction 1 mol H2O2 gives 1/2 half mol O2. Mol. Wt. H2O2=34.

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]By stoichiometry 1/2 moles of H2O2 gives 1/4 moles of O2. So volume strength of H2O2 used to give 8gm is 22.4*1/4 = 5.6. So I subtracted that from 56V. And then simply reduced what i got by 20% it didn't work though. What I'm getting is 39.6 not close to the answer which is 33.6 V. Please help me out on this one. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicC said:
So volume strength of H2O2 used to give 8gm is 22.4*1/4 = 5.6. So I subtracted that from 56V.

That's not a correct approach. Would you do the same if the initial volume was 1 L? 10 L? Don't you think in each case the concentration change should be different?

Borek said:
That's not a correct approach. Would you do the same if the initial volume was 1 L? 10 L? Don't you think in each case the concentration change should be different?
Thanks for replying i really appreciate it. So what should i do..Can you please ellaborate so that i can get the answer to this as soon as possible. I've already given it too much time.

Do you know what volume strength means?

In general: you have to calculate how much hydrogen peroxide was left and what was the final volume, then use this information to calculate final concentration.

What is the volume strength of H2O2?

The volume strength of H2O2 refers to the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in a solution, usually expressed as a percentage. It is a measure of how much hydrogen peroxide is present in a specific volume of solution.

How is the volume strength of H2O2 determined?

The volume strength of H2O2 can be determined through various methods, such as titration or spectrophotometry. These methods involve measuring the amount of hydrogen peroxide in a given volume of solution and calculating its concentration.

What factors affect the volume strength of H2O2?

The volume strength of H2O2 can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other chemicals. Higher temperatures and acidic environments can cause H2O2 to decompose, resulting in a decrease in volume strength.

Why is the volume strength of H2O2 important?

The volume strength of H2O2 is important because it determines the potency of the solution. It is often used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent, so knowing the concentration of H2O2 is crucial for achieving the desired results and avoiding potential hazards.

How is the volume strength of H2O2 used in industries?

The volume strength of H2O2 is used in various industries, such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and paper production. It is utilized as a bleaching agent, oxidizing agent, and disinfectant. The appropriate volume strength must be carefully measured and maintained for these industries to ensure safety and effectiveness.