This is what these symbols mean in physics.

• Thread starter MattVonFat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking clarification on the symbols used in a physics text regarding current. The symbols Ø and ∆ are explained as representing the empty set and finite amounts, respectively.
MattVonFat
Hi,

I'm doing a physics home study course and in the text it says:

If a charge of ØQ coulombs passes a point in Øt seconds, the current I is given by:

I = ∆Q / ∆t

It hasn't mentioned what the symbols Ø and ∆ mean before so I figure it's something I was expected to have known.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
MattVonFat said:
Hi,

I'm doing a physics home study course and in the text it says:
It hasn't mentioned what the symbols Ø and ∆ mean before so I figure it's something I was expected to have known.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks,
Matt
Ø is used for the empty set and I think they should have use ∆Q not ØQ.
∆ is used to denote a finite amount of something:∆t-some amount of time, ∆x some distance in the x direction,∆Q some charge.

Related to This is what these symbols mean in physics.

1. What do the symbols Ø and ∆ represent?

The symbol Ø is commonly used to represent the empty set or null set in mathematics and logic. It can also refer to the diameter of a circle. The symbol ∆ is often used to represent the change or difference between two values, or as the Greek letter delta.

2. How are the symbols Ø and ∆ used in equations?

In equations, the symbol Ø is used to denote the absence of any elements or values, and is often used in set theory and logic. The symbol ∆ is used to represent the change or difference between two values, such as in the formula for slope (Δy/Δx).

3. What is the difference between Ø and ∅?

In most cases, there is no difference between Ø and ∅. They both represent the empty set or null set. However, in some fields of mathematics, such as topology, Ø may refer to the empty space or void, while ∅ represents the empty set.

4. Are there any other commonly used meanings for the symbols Ø and ∆?

Aside from their mathematical and logical uses, the symbols Ø and ∆ may also be used to represent different concepts or ideas in various fields. For example, in chemistry, ∆ may indicate a change in energy or a reaction. In physics, Ø may be used to represent a phase shift or a phase angle.

5. How can I type the symbols Ø and ∆ on my computer or phone?

The symbols Ø and ∆ can be typed using keyboard shortcuts or by using the symbol selector tool. On a PC, you can hold down the Alt key while typing 0216 or 0226 on the number pad to get Ø or ∆, respectively. On a Mac, you can press Option + O or Option + J to get Ø or ∆. On a phone or tablet, you can access these symbols by holding down the letter O or D, and selecting the desired symbol from the pop-up menu.