This problem is hindering my overall work

• Thread starter Dimedrol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Daniel is trying to solve for the constants A and B in order to find the particular solution to the given ODE. However, because the equation is nonhomogeneous, he has to use an alternative method.
Dimedrol
This problem is hindering my overall work !

Need to find particular solution.
y"+6y'+5y=-9te^(5t)

What would be my guess work: I tried y_p=Ate^(5t)+Bte^(5t)
Any thought on the guess?
Thanks,
Dmitriy.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you like lenghty calculations, you might use the method of variation of constants. Assume for example that the particular solution to the given ODE is of the form

[tex] y_{p}=C(t)e^{-5t} [/tex]

You need to find the exact expression of C(t). For that plug in the ODE and then get another nonhomogenous second ODE whose particular solution you need to find

I get something like

[tex] C''(t)-4C'(t)=-9te^{10t} [/tex]

for which i use the ansatz

[tex] C(t)=D(t)e^{4t} [/tex]

and finally getting the ODE

[tex]D''(t)=-9te^{6t} [/tex]

which can be integrated twice to get a solution depending on 2 constants of integration which you'll determine by plugging in the initial ODE.

Daniel.

Last edited:
It's too complicated what i did above (perhaps even incorrect).

Try the ansatz

[tex] y_{p}=C(t)e^{5t} [/tex]

THe ODE for C(t) is

[tex] C''(t)+16C'(t)+60C(t)=-9t [/tex]

whose particular solution is

[tex]C_{p}(t)=\frac{1}{25}-\frac{3}{20}t [/tex]

and whose general solution, after using the ansatz leads to the same general solution of the initial ODE, so nothing new. Ergo, the particular solution to the initial ODE is

[tex] y_{p}(t)=\left(\frac{1}{25}-\frac{3}{20}t\right)e^{5t} [/tex]

Daniel.

dexterciby: This is works perfect.
however, it certainly interfere with my previous knowledge about non homogeneous EQ's. one of the solutions for the characteristic equation is e^(-5t), wouldn't we have to multiply everything by another "t"?
Please explain?

Last edited:
No, i absorbed any linear "t" dependence in the unknown function C(t).

Daniel.

Since e5t is not a solution to the associated homogeneous equation (e-5t is), a solution to the entire equation will be of the form yp(t)= (At+ B)e5t. Plug that into the equation and solve for A and B.

1. How can I identify the problem that is hindering my overall work?

The first step is to carefully analyze your work process and identify any areas where you are facing difficulties or obstacles. You can also seek feedback from colleagues or supervisors to gain a better understanding of the problem.

2. Is this problem affecting my overall productivity?

It is possible that the problem is negatively impacting your productivity. To determine this, track your progress and compare it to your previous performance. If you notice a significant decrease in productivity, then it is likely that the problem is hindering your work.

3. How can I address this problem and improve my overall work?

Once you have identified the problem, it is important to come up with a plan to address it. This could involve seeking advice from others, implementing new strategies, or seeking additional training or resources to overcome the obstacle.

4. Can this problem be solved or is it a permanent hindrance?

It is important to keep in mind that not all problems can be solved immediately or with a simple solution. Some problems may require ongoing effort and continuous improvement. However, with determination and perseverance, most problems can be overcome.

5. How can I prevent this problem from hindering my work in the future?

To prevent the same problem from occurring in the future, it is important to reflect on what caused the issue and take necessary steps to avoid it. This could involve implementing new processes, seeking additional training, or making changes to your work habits.