1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thornton and Marion, Chapter 2, Prob. 22

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a four part problem -- the only issue I have is on part (c) so I'll condense the question:

If the equation of motion of a particle of charge [tex]q[/tex] in an electric field and magnetic field is

[tex]qv_y B \hat{\mathbf{i}} + \left( qE_y - qv_xB \right) \hat{\mathbf{j}} + qE_z \hat{\mathbf{k}} = m \frac{d}{dt} \left( v_x \hat{\mathbf{i}} +v_y \hat{\mathbf{j}} + v_z \hat{\mathbf{k}}\right), [/tex]

obtain expressions for [tex] v_x \left(t\right)[/tex] and [tex] v_y \left(t\right)[/tex]. Show that the time averages of these velocity components are

[tex]\left\langle v_x\left(t\right)\right\rangle = \frac{E_y}{B}[/tex]

[tex] \left\langle v_y\left(t\right)\right\rangle = 0[/tex]

(Show that the motion is periodic and then average over one complete period.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Solutions to the DE are

[tex]v_x \left(t\right) = \frac{E_y}{B} + C_1 \cos \left(\omega t\right) + C_2 \sin \left(\omega t\right)[/tex]

[tex] v_y \left(t\right) = -C_1 \sin \left(\omega t\right) + C_2 \cos \left(\omega t\right)[/tex],

where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the cyclotron frequency. Now, clearly the velocity functions are periodic with period [tex]2\pi/\omega[/tex]. What do they mean "time averages," and what does the [tex]\left\langle \right\rangle[/tex] notation mean?

[tex] \left\langle v_x\left(t\right)\right\rangle = \frac{ v_x\left(0\right) + v_x \left(2\pi/\omega\right)}{2}[/tex],

like an arithmetic mean, but I'm just guessing based on the hint (and that doesn't yield the correct answer). Do they mean average velocity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi union68! :smile:
    "Time average" means the average value over time (and the <> notation just means average, or expectation value) …

in this case, theoretically you'd integrate over a whole period, and then divide by the period.

However, in this case it's a bit obvious that the average of a cos or sin over the period is 0, so that just leaves you with … ? :wink:
  4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    Ah, yes. Integrating over the period and dividing by the period gives you the correct answer. The cosines and sines vanish.

However, what exactly is this procedure though? I guess I've never seen integration related to an average.
  5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

uhh? :redface: … how else would you define an average of something that varies continuously? :smile:

(and how do you think root-mean-square voltage etc is defined? :wink:)
  6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    After a quick Google search I found some explanation. I have never seen continuous averaging before.

I have no idea what RMS voltage is either -- I'm a math major dabbling in physics.

Thank you for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook