Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts on a Mathematical Comp. Sci. Masters Program

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    I will be graduating in a year with a B.S. in Mathematics, and will likely go into industry working with computers. I know how to program, and am fascinated with the mathematics of computer science (combinatorics, graph theory, algorithm analysis, etc).

I came across a masters program offered at the Univ of Illinois at Chicago, where I can get an MS in Mathematical Computer Science. (link here) This sounds perfect for me, as it covers exactly what I'm interested in.

My question is: how would this degree look to employers, compared to someone with just a MS in Computer Science or Math? It would show that I am proficient with programming and that I know a lot of theory behind it all.

Would this be worth it? Would this give me better options than what I would have with just a Bachelors degree (and the relevant programming skills/coursework listed on my resume)?

Any advice would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    I think it probably will be worth it. Mainly because of computational skills is always an asset to a company.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?