Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts on Space/Time and Gravity

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Some of my thoughts on space theory. I see many similarities between space/time and water. Just how they both move and flow. Only one thing is faster than light and that is the expansion of space/time it self. We have discovered that space is expanding faster and faster. This is the reason why time is always moving forward since the the two are connected. Einstein stated that gravity is matters curvature of space/time. To go beyond that, I think that gravity is matters restriction of space/times movement. In normal empty space time ticks faster than here on Earth. I think matter is sort of pinching space/time, making it expand/tick a little slower. At gravities extreme a black hole, you can see this effect much clearer since they say if you park a space ship next to a black hole its clock would almost come to a stop. So this must mean space is almost coming to a stop.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Please be aware that PF rules do not allow personal theories. We would be happy to explain current published theories such as General Relativity, but we cannot discuss you own personal one. (Which doesn't quite match up with observations and accepted theories) If you would like to learn more about it then head to the 3 subforums on Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Cosmology and read the FAQ's there or do a search for other related items. There is also the General Relativity subforum as well.

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    oh sorry. I saw the general relativity section but thought I could post in this section also since it was general physics. Just curious what part doesn't match up with observations?

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I guess it isn't really about matching the observations, but more about the interpretations of what spacetime is and how it works. Saying it "flows" and "moves" and such doesn't really match up with what General Relativity says. It's hard to explain as I'm not an expert on GR. Spacetime experiences "curvature" as many call it, but what that's really talking about is how the geometry of it changes I believe. I'd suggest looking into the more technical aspects of GR and if you have specific questions then feel free to ask. Just try to refrain from posting your personal "interpretations" of what spacetime is doing and you should be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook