Threads asking for ideas to work on

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
In summary: The best remedy is to learn the material and then you can solve any problem in that topic set.In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of students seeking help with project ideas at the university level. The suggestion is made to encourage independence and responsibility in finding and working on their own ideas, rather than spoon-feeding them. Mentors are also advised to stress the importance of independent thinking in such situations. The conversation also touches on the issue of students seeking others to do their work for them, which is not encouraged on the forum. The importance of learning the material and being able to solve any problem in a given topic is emphasized.
aheight
I find it a bit counter-productive to support requests asking for ideas to work on at the university level. Shouldn't we rather encourage the idea of being more responsible doing so on your own? Wouldn't that be better than spoon-feeding? At some point in life, you must go by yourself; there's not going to be a single person on Earth to help you. Best to learn this at an early age: Maturity, independence, responsibility, decisiveness. Rather than ask for an idea, how about finding one yourself even if it's crappy, working on it and if have problems, come back to PF and ask for help. This in my opinion better prepares someone to the challenges in life and in particular science.

So I recommend mentors consider this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen much spoon-feeding in those types of threads. Usually the suggestions are to look into this area or that area or read the current research, etc. Also, we often ask for clarifying information that can lead the OP to figure out the answer to their own question, like "What areas in this subject interest you the most?" or "Have you read anything about <<this subject>>?".

Can you provide a couple links to such threads/posts where there is spoon-feeding going on? Thanks.

Likes symbolipoint
berkeman said:
Can you provide a couple links to such threads/posts where there is spoon-feeding going on? Thanks.
Perhaps spoon feeding was too harsh a word. Also should have realized someone would ask for references and that just creates tension which I try to avoid in here so I'd rather not identify any particular ones. I still however think it would be a good idea to more stress the importance of trying to come up with an idea yourself at least in a university setting, and if mentors perhaps consider explicitly pointing this out in such threads, might be helpful to the poster to foster independent thinking.

Fair enough. BTW, in addition to the questions I mentioned above, I will usually try to get the OP to think about doing a broader or more complex subject/project than they perhaps thought of at first. Like if they ask for ideas for a paper in signal processing, I might suggest that they learn to program an FPGA using Verilog, couple it to a microcontroller and write a program to do some specialized signal processing tasks and write up the project and results. That gives them a project idea that will stretch their knowledge and motivate them to learn new things (which BTW have very real-world applicability). :smile:

It seems the threads go like this:

"I need an idea for my project"
"What have you considered so far?"
<silence>

And that's the last we hear of them.

Likes dextercioby, Bystander, anorlunda and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
It seems the threads go like this:

"I need an idea for my project"
"What have you considered so far?"
<silence>

And that's the last we hear of them.
Actually, that's not a bad way to filter those seeking someone else to do their work or to spoon feed them, versus someone with the initiative to read and take suggestions and to eventually do the work themselves.

The lazy ones tend to be hit and run. They post a question, hang around 15 minutes to read the first reply, then never return to PF again.

Likes symbolipoint
berkeman said:
I haven't seen much spoon-feeding in those types of threads.
OTOH, we sometimes get posts like this (which we deal with fairly quickly)...

Twitter.jpg

Likes anorlunda
Some assignments like those, if true, are not appropriate for those students or those students at the level which they are studying. Badly created assignments may happen on a few occasions.

1. What are some good ideas to work on for my research project?

Some good ideas for research projects can come from current events, gaps in existing research, or personal interests. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that has enough available resources for you to conduct a thorough study.

2. How can I narrow down my research topic?

To narrow down your research topic, you can start by brainstorming and listing all the potential ideas that interest you. Then, you can do some preliminary research to see if there is enough information available on each topic. You can also consult with your peers or a mentor to get their input and suggestions.

3. What are some effective ways to gather ideas for my research?

Some effective ways to gather ideas for your research include attending conferences and workshops, reading current literature in your field, and discussing with other researchers or experts in the field. You can also look for inspiration from other related disciplines or industries.

4. How can I ensure that my research idea is original?

To ensure that your research idea is original, you can conduct a thorough literature review to see if your topic has been extensively studied before. You can also consult with your advisor or mentor to get their feedback and make sure your idea is unique and has not been explored before.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when coming up with research ideas?

Some common mistakes to avoid when coming up with research ideas include choosing a topic that is too broad or too narrow, not considering the feasibility of the research, and not having a clear research question or objective. It is also important to avoid choosing a topic that is too similar to existing research or that lacks significance or relevance.