Three point charges with a central fourth charge

In summary: You can see this because ##s^2## is just the inverse-square law, and the ##q##'s cancel out.) So the force on the corner charge will be zero, and the work done will be zero.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving charges forming an equilateral triangle and a fourth charge placed at the center. The first two parts of the problem involve determining the direction of movement for the corner charges and finding the value of Q that will keep all four charges stationary. The third part involves calculating the work done in removing the charges to infinity. It is found that as long as the charges maintain an equilateral triangle configuration and are moved at the same rate, the work done will be zero.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

It is the last part, part (c) that I'm having trouble with, but I'll post the entire question for clarity.

Three charges (q) form the vertices of an equilateral triangle. A fourth charge Q ([itex] Q = -q [/itex]) is placed at the center of the triangle.

(a) will the charges at the corners move away from or towards the center?

(b) for what value of Q will all four points remain stationary?

(c) in situation (b) how much work is done in removing the charges to infinity? (I interpret this to mean keep the center charge where it is and moving the corner charges out to infinity)

Homework Equations

Relevant to (c)

Distance between vertices: d

Distance between a vertex and the center: [itex] s = \frac{d}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

Constant of Coulomb's Law: A

After solving (a) and (b)

In equilibrium: [itex] Q = \frac{-q}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]

Force is a function of s

[tex] F = F(s) [/tex]

Two body interactions

||R|| = force of repulsion on a vertex resulting from vertex charge repulsion

||R|| calculated initially in terms of d but then converted to be in terms of s

||P|| = force of attraction on a vertex resulting from vertex-center charge attraction

||P|| calculated to be in terms of s

F(s) = magnitude of the resulting force on a vertex charge in terms of distance between vertex and center

[tex] F(s) = ||R|| - ||P|| = Aq(\frac{q}{\sqrt{3}} - 3Q)\frac{1}{s^2}[/tex]

from (b) [itex]Q = \frac{-q}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

but we're using ||P|| so remove the sign from the front of that eqn.

so [itex] F(s) = ||R|| - ||P|| = Aq(\frac{q}{\sqrt{3}} - \sqrt{3}q)\frac{1}{s^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm having a conceptual understanding deficiency on (c).

I know how to do improper integrals. I know that W = Fs and in this case F = f(s), so

[tex]Work = \int_{\frac{d}{\sqrt{3}}}^\infty F(s) ds[/tex]

[tex]Work = \int_{\frac{d}{\sqrt{3}}}^\infty Aq(\frac{q}{\sqrt{3}} - \sqrt{3}q)\frac{1}{s^2} ds[/tex]

Using improper integration yields for me

[tex]Work = A\frac{-2q^2}{d}[/tex]

edit: clarify - work done in moving one of the vertices to infinity

4. The texts answer

The text did not use any improper integrals as I did.

The text says:

As potential energy of the system

[tex] U = \frac{1}{2} \times \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \Sigma_{i \neq j} \frac{q_iq_j}{r_{ij}} = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \left[3\frac{q\times q}{d}+\frac{3q(\frac{-q}{\sqrt{3}})}{\frac{d}{\sqrt{3}}}\right]=0[/tex]

And as for finite charge distribution potential energy at infinity is always zero

[tex]W=U_F-U_I = 0-0 =0[/tex]

I don't understand this last explanation. Surely as you move the vertex charge away from the center, the attraction to the center dominates over the repulsion from the other vertices and the amount of work needed to drag it out...wait...the other vertices are moving to infinity at the same rate too...so the repulsion and the attraction stay in the same proportion...

Is this saying...that if you moved all three charges (provided they were in equilibrium at the beginning) away from the center, all at the same rate of motion and ensuring that they keep in an equilateral triangle configuration, and you moved them all equally to an arbitrary distance away from their original config...that zero work has been done?? This seems highly counter-intuitive to me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:
In equilibrium: [itex] Q = \frac{-q}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex]
---------------------------------------------
...wait...the other vertices are moving to infinity at the same rate too...so the repulsion and the attraction stay in the same proportion...

Is this saying...that if you moved all three charges (provided they were in equilibrium at the beginning) away from the center, all at the same rate of motion and ensuring that they keep in an equilateral triangle configuration, and you moved them all equally to an arbitrary distance away from their original config...that zero work has been done?? This seems highly counter-intuitive to me...

Yes. Good observation! Note that the condition for equilibrium is [itex] Q = \frac{-q}{\sqrt{3}} [/itex], and this is independent of the size of the triangle. You could give each of the three corner charges a little "outward" initial velocity and they would glide with constant speed all the way to infinity.

Likes kostoglotov
Your ##
F(s) = ||R|| - ||P|| = Aq(\frac{q}{\sqrt{3}} - 3Q)\frac{1}{s^2}
## should be ##
F(s) = ||R|| - ||P|| = Aq(\frac{q}{\sqrt{3}} - Q)\frac{1}{s^2}
## and with that your integrand is zero!

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is the relationship between the three point charges and the central fourth charge?

The three point charges and the central fourth charge have an electrostatic interaction, meaning they exert forces on each other due to their electric charges. This interaction follows the principle of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the position of the central fourth charge affect the electrostatic forces between the three point charges?

The position of the central fourth charge plays a significant role in determining the strength and direction of the electrostatic forces between the three point charges. The closer the central fourth charge is to the other three charges, the stronger the forces will be. Additionally, the position of the central charge relative to the other charges can determine whether the forces are attractive or repulsive.

3. What is the net force on the central fourth charge in this system?

The net force on the central fourth charge is the vector sum of the individual electrostatic forces exerted by the three point charges. This can be calculated by using vector addition, taking into account the magnitudes and directions of each force on the central charge.

4. Can the three point charges and central fourth charge be in equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible for the three point charges and central fourth charge to be in equilibrium, meaning the net force on the central charge is zero. This can occur when the charges are arranged in a way that the forces on the central charge cancel out, such as when the charges are arranged symmetrically.

5. How does the charge of the central fourth charge affect the electrostatic forces in this system?

The charge of the central fourth charge has a direct impact on the strength of the electrostatic forces in this system. According to Coulomb's Law, the greater the magnitude of the charge, the stronger the force will be. As the charge of the central fourth charge increases, the forces on the other three charges will also increase, and vice versa.