Throwing 1Kg the highest without electronics

In summary, the device can be a catapult like device that uses inertia or a ratcheting mechanism to pull down the cable, or a simple inertia or rubber powered helicopter.The 1kg payload can be inert or include the carcass, envelope or lifting gas.The competition allows for gunpowder, hydrogen, and helium.Both lower volume and buoyancy will make the device heavier than air, but either will work. A spherical balloon will have a volume of about 523.6 litre and fit conveniently in the 1m x 1m x 2m size constraint.
kieyard
hello everyone.
me and my mates as some fun over the school holidays are having a competition to see who can throw 1Kg the highest without the use of electronics due to an unfair advantage to those more well off etc.
my first idea was a rail gun but as that requires electronics it is unable to be used.
other conditions on the competition is that the device/machine has to be no taller than 2m and no wider then 1mX1m. i was thinking some sort of pully system where i can put in a lot of force on the one end and achieve massive acceleration on the other.

just wanted to get any tips on my idea or any other better ideas before i get making.

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is gunpowder permitted?

AM

Likes fireflies
Andrew Mason said:
Is gunpowder permitted?

AM

maybe. but probably not. haha

Single machine? Can't two things be used? Like a see-saw and a large mass to hit it on a side?

Compound Bow:

http://img02.deviantart.net/66f6/i/2006/290/4/3/arrows_and_compound_bow_by_fafcf09.jpg
arrows_and_compound_bow_by_fafcf09.jpg

A catapult like device?

fireflies said:
Can it sustain 1 kg? Force should be given more then manually, right?

Scale it up to the largest you can within your groups rules. Read about what the compound feature gives in terms of benefits to the archer... :smile:

Also, you might want to use some sort of ratcheting mechanism to pull down the cable, more like you see with a large crossbow...

On second thought, if you do use mechanical advantage and a latching/ratcheting mechanism, that gets rid of the need for the compound mechanism. The compound bow's claim to fame is the "let-off" as the cable is drawn farther back.

The 2m height restriction may restrict the time available for acceleration.
Must some form of energy be converted to kinetic energy at the muzzle?
Must the item be “thrown” or is it permitted to use aerodynamics such as a simple inertia or rubber powered helicopter?

Have you considered practice ball throwers or skeet launchers?
Potato guns can be powered by butane, acetylene, steam or compressed air.

What shape and density is the 1kg mass?

Does the projectile have to be heavier than air? Air has a density of approximately 1.225 kg/m3.
A 1m3 bag of He might win the competition.

Must the 1kg payload be inert or can it include the carcass, envelope or lifting gas?

Likes fireflies
Baluncore said:
Does the projectile have to be heavier than air? Air has a density of approximately 1.225 kg/m3.
A 1m3 bag of He might win the competition.

Haha :D

fireflies said:
Haha :D
Yes, and I guess Hydrogen is within the rules too - 4x more lift!

Likes fireflies
A rocket or firework would easily outdistance even the best ballistic device.

rootone said:
Yes, and I guess Hydrogen is within the rules too - 4x more lift!
Not quite 4x more lift. See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighter_than_air#Hydrogen_and_helium

The problem with this challenge is really the interpretation of the question and the test conditions.
How literally are the words to be taken?
Is the 1 kg a total mass ignoring buoyancy, or is it a 1kg downward force weighed on scales?

And what is the volume of the bag though? lower volume will make higher density, right?

fireflies said:
And what is the volume of the bag though?
It depends on whether the 1kg mass includes the gas and bag or only a 1kg deadweight.

fireflies said:
lower volume will make higher density, right?
Only if the bag has significant mass compared to the gas. Since the lifting gas is not under envelope pressure it's density will be dependent on temperature and atmospheric pressure.

The density of dry air is 1.29 g/l, (unfortunately wet air is slightly less dense so take care on humid days).

Hydrogen, H2 density is about 0.090 g/l.
The difference is a buoyancy of 1.2 g/l.

The 1kg deadweight and say 100g balloon envelope weigh a total of 1100g.
So it will require a capacity of 1100. / 1.2 = 916.7 litre H2.

Helium, He density is about 0.179 g/l so it will give a buoyancy of 1.111 g/l.
It would require about 1100. / 1.111 = 990 litre of He capacity.

Since both of those are less than the 2000 litres available to the challengers, it can be done with either H2 or He gas.
A 1m diameter spherical balloon will have a volume of about 523.6 litre.
Two of those should do the job and they will fit conveniently in the 1m x 1m x 2m size constraint.

You could also do it cheaper and easier with a hot air balloon or even a simple chinese lantern.

(A chinese lantern - being little more than a tealight and a piece of paper, things you probably have lying around your living room - would be particularly irritating to competitors struggling with complicated ballistic devices.)

1. How far can a 1Kg object be thrown without using electronics?

The distance a 1Kg object can be thrown without using electronics depends on a variety of factors, including the force applied, angle of release, and air resistance. However, on average, a 1Kg object can be thrown up to 50 meters without using electronics.

2. What is the best angle to throw a 1Kg object to achieve the highest height?

The optimal angle to throw a 1Kg object to achieve the highest height is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the most efficient use of energy and minimizes air resistance, resulting in the highest possible height.

3. How does the weight of the object affect its maximum height when thrown without electronics?

The weight of an object does not significantly affect its maximum height when thrown without electronics. The main factors that determine the height of a throw are the force applied and the angle of release. However, a heavier object may experience slightly more air resistance, resulting in a slightly lower maximum height compared to a lighter object thrown with the same force and angle.

4. Can a 1Kg object be thrown higher with the use of electronics?

Yes, a 1Kg object can be thrown higher with the use of electronics. This is because electronics, such as motors or springs, can provide a greater force and more precise angle of release compared to a human throw. This allows for a higher maximum height to be achieved.

5. How can I increase the height of a 1Kg object thrown without electronics?

To increase the height of a 1Kg object thrown without electronics, you can increase the force applied, throw at a higher angle (up to 45 degrees), or minimize air resistance by using a more aerodynamic object. Additionally, practicing proper throwing techniques and building muscle strength can also help increase the height of a throw.