Thyroglossal cyst? is surgery only remedy?

• Medical
  • Thread starter logearav
  • Start date
In summary, a TGDC is a remnant of the pathway the developing thyroid takes from the base of the tongue during development. It attaches to the hyoid bone and can cause complications such as enlargement and thyroid cancer. Surgery is the usual management, but prior to surgery a thyroid scan should be done to make sure that normal thyroid tissue exists.
logearav
Revered Members,
What is the reason for person getting thyro glossal cyst? Is it anything to do with thyroid disorder? I have known people having this problem living without taking any medicines. Is surgery the only remedy for this? If untreated will it becomes a cancer cyst?

Biology news on Phys.org
logerav,

A thyroglossal duct cyst (TGDC) is one of the central masses that can develop in the neck. Others include branchial cleft cysts, cystic hygromas, hemangiomas, and dermoid cysts.

A TGDC is a remnant of the pathway the developing thyroid takes from the base of the tongue during development. It attaches to the hyoid bone (the structure just above the Adam's apple).

Complications include enlargement (especially after infection) and very rarely, thyroid cancer.

The usual management is surgical excision, together with the tract and the central part of the hyoid bone (a Sistrunk procedure). Complete excision up to the base of the tongue has a low recurrence rate of less than 10%.

Prior to surgery, a thyroid scan should be done to make sure that normal functional thyroid tissue exists in the correct spot. Rare cases have been described where the cyst contains the only thyroid tissue and removal will lead to severe hypothyroidism and chronic thyroid hormone supplementation. In the vast majority of cases, it has nothing to do with thyroid dysfunction(s), though.

The cancer rate is very low as I have mentioned. This might be due, though, to the fact that we remove all these lesions, at least in my Unit.

J.

Thanks a lot sir for your detailed reply. But is surgery the only remedy?

logearav said:
Thanks a lot sir for your detailed reply. But is surgery the only remedy?
May I ask your reason for asking these questions? We do not give out information intended for diagnosis or treatment.

nothing specific, just out of curiosity i am asking. i went through an article about this and i felt it would be better to get clarified in this revered forum. its always better to hear from experts than believing solely on wikipedia stuff

Evo, there is a difference between information and diagnosis / treatment. The multitude of information that exists on the internet can be very confusing and without the proper knowledge and years of experience can be incorrectly interpreted. For proper diagnosis and treatment you need face to face time with an appropriate healthcare professional. You will note that my post offers no attempt at diagnosis and therefor should comply with the guidelines of the forum. I do not see any harm in education through explanation and clarification of online information, though. I await your thoughts on this.

What is a thyroglossal cyst and how does it form?

A thyroglossal cyst is a fluid-filled sac that develops in the neck during embryonic development. It forms when a small piece of thyroid tissue that should have migrated to its proper location in the neck remains in the midline of the neck and becomes cystic.

What are the symptoms of a thyroglossal cyst?

The most common symptom of a thyroglossal cyst is a painless lump or swelling in the front of the neck, just below the Adam's apple. It can also cause difficulty swallowing or breathing, and may become infected and cause pain and redness.

How is a thyroglossal cyst diagnosed?

A thyroglossal cyst is usually diagnosed through a physical examination and imaging tests, such as ultrasound or CT scan. Your doctor may also perform a fine needle aspiration to check the fluid inside the cyst.

Is surgery the only treatment for a thyroglossal cyst?

Surgery is the most common and effective treatment for a thyroglossal cyst. It involves removing the cyst and the attached thyroid tissue. In some cases, if the cyst is small and not causing any symptoms, your doctor may recommend monitoring it instead of surgery.

What are the risks and complications of thyroglossal cyst surgery?

As with any surgery, there are risks and potential complications associated with thyroglossal cyst surgery, such as bleeding, infection, and damage to nearby structures. However, these risks are low and can be minimized by choosing an experienced surgeon.