1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Dependent Current in a Wire

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinite straight wire carries a current I that varies with time as shown above. It increases from 0 at t = 0 to a maximum value I1 = 5.2 A at t = t1 = 15 s, remains constant at this value until t = t2 when it decreases linearly to a value I4 = -5.2 A at t = t4 = 26 s, passing through zero at t = t3 = 23 s. A conducting loop with sides W = 27 cm and L = 50 cm is fixed in the x-y plane at a distance d = 57 cm from the wire as shown.

What is the magnitude of the magnetic flux Φ through the loop at time t = t1 = 15 s?

2. Relevant equations

B = μ*I/(2*pi*d)

I = 5.2 A

Φ = ∫B*dA

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use the magnetic flux equation in this somehow. I tried integrating the flux equation above to get something like Φ = ∫B*dA = B*A = ((μ*I)/(2*pi*(((d+L)^2) - (d^2)) * (W*L). (?)

However, when I plugged in the values and typed in what I got into the computer, it didn't like what I had. I tried doing everything I could, & I feel like this is a relatively simple problem. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2
    Ignore. I just forgot the integral of 1/x. (ln x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted