Force to apply to a loop moving away from a current-carrying wire

In summary: So, in summary, the force applied to the loop to maintain a constant speed is given by ##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Ry^2(y+l)^2}## where ##y## represents the instantaneous distance to the wire. This is because, as the loop moves away from the wire, the magnetic field weakens and the force required to maintain the constant speed also decreases. If we treat ##h## as a constant, the expression for the force would be incorrect.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
A square loop of wire with ##N## turns, side of length ##l## and resistance ##R## is initially at distance ##h## to the right of an infinitely long wire carrying a steady current ##i##.
(1) Find the induced current if the loop starts moving away from the wire at constant speed ##v##.
(2) Find the force you would have to apply to the loop so that it continues moving at this constant speed ##v##.
Relevant Equations
##\mathcal{E}=-\frac{d\Phi(\vec{B})}{dt},\ \vec{F}=i\vec{l}\times\vec{B}##
What I have done:

(1) ##\Phi(\vec{B})=\int_{S}\vec{B}\cdot d\vec{S}=-\frac{N\mu_0 il}{2\pi}\int_{s=h}^{s=h+l}\frac{ds}{s}=-\frac{\mu_0iNl}{2\pi}\ln(\frac{h+l}{h})##
so ##\mathcal{E}=-\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-\frac{\mu_0iNl^2v}{2\pi h(h+l)}## so ##i_{ind}=\frac{\mathcal{E}}{R}=-\frac{\mu_0il^2Nv}{2\pi Rh(h+l)}.##

(2) The force one the left side of the square has greater magnitude than that on the right side (since ##i## and ##l## are the same for both sides but ##B_{left}=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi s}>B_{right}=\frac{\mu_0 i}{2\pi (s+l)}##) so the net force on the loop is to the left, hence, to make the loop move away at constant speed ##v## I should apply a force to the right which is equal in magnitude to the net force on the loop due to the magnetic field: ##F_{applied}=F_{right}-F_{left}=i_{ind}l(B_{right}-B_{left})=-\frac{\mu_0il^2Nv}{2\pi Rh(h+l)}l\frac{\mu_0i}{2\pi}(\frac{1}{h+l+vt}-\frac{1}{h+vt})=\frac{\mu_0^2 i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2 Rh(h+l)(h+l+vt)(h+vt)}##, where the last two equalities follow from the fact that, if the loop starts moving to the right at constant speed ##v## at time ##t=0##, at time ##t## the left side is at distance ##h+vt## from the wire and the right side at distance ##h+vt+l##.

Now, my analysis does make sense to me since, intuitively, as the loop is moving away from the wire the magnetic field gets increasingly weaker so the force to be applied to make it move at constant speed ##v## should get weaker too, but the book I got this problem from says that the force applied should be ##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Rh^2(h+l)^2}##.
Why is the force constant? This result agrees with mine at ##t=0## so is it possible that maybe the text is asking for the force to be applied just as the loop starts moving to the right? Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
lorenz0 said:
so ##\mathcal{E}=-\frac{d\phi(\vec{B})}{dt}=-\frac{\mu_0iNl^2v}{2\pi h(h+l)}##
After you take the derivative, ##h## is a variable that denotes the instantaneous distance to the wire and ##v## is its (constant) rate of change, ##v=\frac{dh}{dt}##. So when you write ##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Rh^2(h+l)^2}##, you cannot treat ##h## as a constant. It would have been clearer to use another variable ##y## as the distance to the wire and write the force as
##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Ry^2(y+l)^2}## then replace ##y=h+vt## in the expression.

By the way, I did not check your force expression for correctness.

Likes lorenz0
kuruman said:
After you take the derivative, ##h## is a variable that denotes the instantaneous distance to the wire and ##v## is its (constant) rate of change, ##v=\frac{dh}{dt}##. So when you write ##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Rh^2(h+l)^2}##, you cannot treat ##h## as a constant. It would have been clearer to use another variable ##y## as the distance to the wire and write the force as
##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Ry^2(y+l)^2}## then replace ##y=h+vt## in the expression.

By the way, I did not check your force expression for correctness.
I see, thanks. So, if I understand correctly, if I treated ##h## as a constant (representing the initial loop-wire distance at ##t=0##), ##F=\frac{\mu_0^2i^2l^4Nv}{(2\pi)^2Rh(h+l)(h+vt)(h+l+vt)}## would be a correct formulation for the force to be applied at time ##t##, right?

I check your old expression and it is correct. Your new expression looks incorrect. If you had followed my suggestion
kuruman said:
Write the force as
you would have gotten the correct expression.

Likes lorenz0
kuruman said:
I check your old expression and it is correct. Your new expression looks incorrect. If you had followed my suggestion

you would have gotten the correct expression.
I see, thank you very much.

1. What is the force that needs to be applied to a loop moving away from a current-carrying wire?

The force that needs to be applied to a loop moving away from a current-carrying wire is known as the Lorentz force. This force is a combination of the electric force and the magnetic force acting on the charged particles in the loop.

2. How is the direction of the Lorentz force determined?

The direction of the Lorentz force is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current in the wire is flowing upwards, the force on the loop will be directed towards the left. If the current is flowing downwards, the force will be directed towards the right.

3. Does the strength of the current in the wire affect the force on the loop?

Yes, the strength of the current in the wire does affect the force on the loop. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field surrounding the wire, and therefore the stronger the Lorentz force on the loop.

4. How does the distance between the wire and the loop affect the force?

The force on the loop is inversely proportional to the distance between the wire and the loop. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance.

5. Can the force on the loop be controlled?

Yes, the force on the loop can be controlled by changing the current in the wire or by changing the distance between the wire and the loop. This allows for the manipulation of the loop's movement and direction.