1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependent dispersion (Quantum Mechanics)

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The initial wave function [itex]\Psi (x,0) [/itex] of a free particle is a normalized gaussian with unitary probability. Let [itex]\sigma = \Delta x[/itex] be the initial variance (average of the square deviations) with respect to the position; determine the variance [itex]\sigma (t)[/itex] in a moment later.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure which equations should I start from... but, as for a gaussian distribution, I'm thinking of
    [itex]\Psi (x,t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} a(k) e^{i(kx - \omega t)} dk [/itex],
    being

[itex]a(k) = \frac{A \sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp{\left[-\frac{(k - k_0)^2 {\sigma}^2}{2}\right]} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start it... once I describe the wave function, find A, I don't know how to construct this time dependent dispersion. I know the packet will 'spread', and its width will increase, but no ideas on how to describe this in terms of the dispersion... I know the result is [itex]\sigma (t) = \sqrt{\sigma^2(0) + (\frac{\hbar t}{2m \sigma(0)})^2}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer on this yet, but if it's still relevant: I'd start by determining the dispersion relation [itex]\omega(k)[/itex] for the particle and plugging that in. The eventual goal is to take the explicitly time-dependent expression you have,
    [tex]\Psi (x,t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} a(k,\sigma) e^{i(kx - \omega t)} dk[/tex]
    and rewrite it as an implicitly time-dependent expression
    [tex]\Psi (x,t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} a(k,\sigma(t)) e^{ikx} dk[/tex]
    which should give you the expression you need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook