1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-Independent Perturbation Theory

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am working on a physics project for which I need to use perturbation theory to calculate the first- and second-order corrections to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a perturbed matrix. The unperturbed matrix is real and symmetric, and the eigenvalues and eigenvectors are easy to calculate. However, the perturbed matrix is complex and non-Hermitian (the perturbation introduces complex components on the main diagonal). I am new to perturbation theory. My question is whether I can use the standard matrix perturbation theory for Hermitian Hamiltonians, as explained in Chapter 6 of "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by Griffiths. Clearly, the unperturbed matrix needs to be Hermitian, but it doesn't seem as if the perturbed one has to be. I would just like to double-check this.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I went through the derivation in Griffiths, and didn't see the assumption that the perturbed matrix has to be Hermitian being used anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I've never used perturbation theory with non-Hermitian matrices, but I don't foresee any problem in using the standard approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted