1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time independent Schrodinger equation and uncertainty in x

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the gaussian
    $$\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}}e^{-\alpha x^{2}}$$
    an eigenfunction of ## \widehat{T} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}## ? If so, what is the corresponding eigenvalue? If not, find a P.E. operator ##\widehat{U} = U(\hat{x}) ## which gives rise to a Hamiltonian ##\widehat{H}## for which this Gaussian is an energy eigenfunction. What physical system are we talking about?
    Find the uncertainty in ##\Delta x##.

2. Relevant equations

$$\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$$

time independent Schrodinger equation
    ##\{-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}}+U(x)\}\psi_n(x)=E_n\psi_n(x)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked out the relative derivatives and determined that it isn't an eigenfunction.
    ##\widehat{T}\psi(x)= -\frac{\hbar}{2m} 2\alpha e^{-\alpha x^{2}}(2\alpha x^{2} -1)##
    Then I plug all that into the TISE and solve for ##\widehat{U}## and get

##\widehat{U}=\frac {\hbar^{2} + 4\alpha^{2}x^{2}}{2m}##

Hopefully I am correct up to here.

Now I am asked to find ##\Delta x ##

I think I need

## \Delta x= \sqrt{ \langle x^{2} \rangle - \langle x \rangle^{2}}##

where

## \langle x \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x|\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##

which gives me 0

but I get confused here where I think I need

## \langle x^{2} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^{2}|\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##

is the x2 term just the square of my function? So in principal I am just multiplying the square of my function by the mod of the function squared? THen taking the integral?

Thanks

edit :- sorted formatting of equation

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you intended to write
    ## \langle x^{2} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2 |\psi|^{2} \,\mathrm{d}x##
    then yes, this is the expectation value of ##x^2##. Your wording makes it unclear what you are actually having trouble with.

4. May 3, 2015 #3
    That is what the equation was meant to look like.

My problem is do I square the function ##\psi## and multiply that by the mod squared of the function or multiply the function by x2. In short i am not sure what x2 is in the above formula

thanks

5. May 3, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When you calculated ##\langle x \rangle##, how did you treat the factor of ##x##? Why do you think it's different in the case of ##\langle x^2 \rangle## in how you deal with ##x##?

6. May 8, 2015 #5
    Thanks very much I think I am getting the hang of what is going on. I don't have to treat ##\langle x^2 \rangle## any different to how I dealt with ##x## i.e.I just use ##x^{2}## when workingout ##\langle x^2\rangle ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted