1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time ordering operator

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    As I understand it, the time ordering operator works as follows (for [tex]t<0[/tex]):
    [tex]T c^\dagger(t) c(0) = -c(0) c^\dagger(t)[/tex] for fermions and
    [tex]T c^\dagger(t) c(0) = c(0) c^\dagger(t)[/tex] for bosons.

Now suppose instead of these creation/annihilation operators, I had a more general commutation relation, ie [tex][d,d^\dagger] = S[/tex], how does the time ordering operator behave?

Edit: After rereading that, I should be more specific. I'm trying to formulate DMFT equations in a non-orthogonal basis. So the creation/annihilation operators anti-commute to give [d_a,d_b^\dagger]_+ = S_{a,b}. The Green's function is usually defined as [tex]G(\tau) = \langle T c(\tau) c^\dagger(0) \rangle[/tex] and I need to understand exactly what the time ordering operator does, but I'm not even totally sure how its really defined, because as I understand it above, it works differently for fermions and bosons.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted